corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Lambo Aventendor Detail

New Poll
  <<  6    7    8    9    10  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Lambo Aventendor Detail
Steve
Premium Member

User status: Offline
2nd Feb 13 at 15:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Id say any decent bodyshop.

Thats the difference though, bodyshop owners are working with paint day in day out, they know what different paint depths look like because they see it all the time. You dont need to pay them to go around and build up a 3d image. Theyd laugh at you.

Graeme does bodywork and look at his views on it.

Would you rather pay someone 60 quid because they make a visual inspection then just get on with doing the correction? or someone 100's possibly 1000's because they have just read a few internet posts and have to use paint depth readers?

[Edited on 02-02-2013 by Steve]
Kyle T
Premium Member

2nd Feb 13 at 16:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I guess everybody just has different standards.

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
Nothing wrong with the original paintwork, just people subject it to unnatural tests then point out when they spot stuff that its terrible.

Makes their car washing businesses with a fancy name look better I suppose

Based on that, you're clearly happy with mediocre paintwork on your cars, hence happy to let a bodyshop look at your car and mop it for £60 or whatever.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Gary
Premium Member

2nd Feb 13 at 16:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surely paint depth reading are bullshit anyway as they don't know how thick the clear coat is etc
Steve
Premium Member

2nd Feb 13 at 16:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
I guess everybody just has different standards.

quote:
Nothing wrong with the original paintwork, just people subject it to unnatural tests then point out when they spot stuff that its terrible.

Makes their car washing businesses with a fancy name look better I suppose

Based on that, you're clearly happy with mediocre paintwork on your cars, hence happy to let a bodyshop look at your car and mop it for £60 or whatever.

Based on that, you're clearly happy being brainwashed by the internet into thinking someone with a paint depth gizmo that charges hundreds is bound to achieve better results than a bodyshop that can correct your paintwork for much less using actual skills

[Edited on 02-02-2013 by Steve]
Steve
Premium Member

2nd Feb 13 at 16:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
Surely paint depth reading are bullshit anyway as they don't know how thick the clear coat is etc

its only the clearcoat you are interested in anyway, if you remove all of that then youre in trouble.

I can see how thick a clearcoat is with my own eyes and im far from an expert, I imagine someone at a body shop could easily judge a clearcoats thickness accurately by sight
John

2nd Feb 13 at 16:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The better depth gauges can tell you the thickness of each layer.
Steve
Premium Member

2nd Feb 13 at 16:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Correct however who cares how thick the base coat or even the primer is

You are only removing a surface of clearcoat
John

2nd Feb 13 at 16:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Preaching to the converted, just saying that they can tell how thick just the clearcoat is.

Also, if someone was stupid enough to pay me to detail their 200k car, you can bet I'd have a depth gauge to make sure I didn't damage it, so I can understand exactly why they use that.
Steve
Premium Member

2nd Feb 13 at 16:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep I can see why too. However as your example highlights is because most don't know really what they are doing or have the experience to rely on their own judgement.

That's my point you are paying for someone's time taken to make sure they don't damage something as they don't have the experience to get on with the actual work.
Steve
Premium Member

2nd Feb 13 at 16:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I refer back to my logging bagger post

You can either pay someone several hundred pounds because they need to design it in a cad package etc then make it. All seems very professional and technical.

Or you can pay a bloke with some skills to make the same thing without all the bullshit and will cost you 50 quid
John

2nd Feb 13 at 16:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree with you
Dave

2nd Feb 13 at 17:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Steve's so desperate to rant about this he's resorted to trying to argue with someone who is agreeing with him

Calm down Steve, if people want to pay daft money for a service let them, no idea why you are getting so worked up about it.
Steve
Premium Member

2nd Feb 13 at 17:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im not arguing with John? Im also not very worked up tbh
CORSA NUT

2nd Feb 13 at 17:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you seen the cost of a proper paint depth gauge??
3CorsaMeal

2nd Feb 13 at 17:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gonna foam, clay. Lime prime. Super resin polish. Then wax my car tomorrow. Going to save loads in labour costs. Might treat myself afterwards.
Ben G

2nd Feb 13 at 17:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will any of those processes remove scratches jim?
Steve
Premium Member

2nd Feb 13 at 18:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CORSA NUT

Let's have another lol
3CorsaMeal

2nd Feb 13 at 18:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
Will any of those processes remove scratches jim?

If I find a bit that needs machine polishing I will probably polish it. Will do the lime prime with the machine.
p

2nd Feb 13 at 19:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Without going through all of it, can someone give me the jist as to what's happened?

Someone hasn't put their Aventador for a major detail, and something really shoddy has happened, has it?
CORSA NUT

2nd Feb 13 at 19:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by CORSA NUT

Let's have another lol

http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/paint-detective/paint-detective-pd8-paint-thickness-gauge.aspx?source=google-base&variant=4988

getting an expensive game this now....
Gary
Premium Member

2nd Feb 13 at 19:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by p
Without going through all of it, can someone give me the jist as to what's happened?

Someone hasn't put their Aventador for a major detail, and something really shoddy has happened, has it?

Nope. Someone got a fella dressed as a pikey to detail.
Dave

2nd Feb 13 at 19:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by p

An Aventador had some dodgy paintwork,somebody fixed it, CS decided he wasn't wearing appropriate pants. Think that's about it.
Graeme
Premium Member

2nd Feb 13 at 19:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Steve I actually agree with you. Experience can tell you if its been painted.

Even if its been done to a very high standard there will still be tell tail signs. With regards to using different polishes on a new painted panel, that's just hit and miss with what to use as all lacquer is different and polished up different. Also the different type of lacquers including uv lacquer and ceramic lacquer.

At the end of the day you can get it washed and polished for £100 or £5k but you need to justify it.

Also the person who said about a F40 with not much paint on. Not strictly true. I've painted one and it was relatively thick for a carbon/Kevlar shell.
Dave

2nd Feb 13 at 19:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thing is if you are doing this for a living is it not easier/safer just to take a few readings with a meter before you set about it?
neil h

2nd Feb 13 at 19:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I can see how thick a clearcoat is with my own eyes and im far from an expert, I imagine someone at a body shop could easily judge a clearcoats thickness accurately by sight

I would love to meet the man who can accurately judge the thickness of something measured in microns

<<  6    7    8    9    10  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Lambo Aventendor Detail 23 database queries in 0.0385191 seconds