corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Brake line spanners?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Brake line spanners?
TOMAS

User status: Offline
7th Apr 04 at 16:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi im about to fit some Goodridge brake hoses to my corsa. Im unsure how to undo the unions (FRONT). Their is a small 10mm nut where the green metal brakepipe goes into the union then their appears to be a circular a large cylindrical thing with a flat on it then the other side of the bodywork mount their is a 17mm nut which is attached to the rubber brake hose which I want to change. Do I undo the 10mm top nut against the 17mm bottom nut, or do I need a special spanner to grip the cylindrical thing with flat on and then undo the 17mm nut?

Sorry this is probably very easy its just with everything corroded and a little stiff to undo I dont want to use my brute force to undo something I shouldnt...

Here's a quick sketch...

[Edited on 07-04-2004 by TOMAS]
Skinner

7th Apr 04 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hold the 17 mm nut and undo the 10mm bpipe end
miles

7th Apr 04 at 18:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, the braided hose will replace everything below the 10mm. You can get special brake line spanners that grip much more of the bolt than usual ones, they are more like a 'C'. Halfrauds sell them for about £8 I think. Without it you risk stripping the 10mm bit, and even with it it can be a pain.
Adam-D

7th Apr 04 at 18:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

goto halfords they have a open ended spanner specially for the job
Skinner

7th Apr 04 at 18:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what i do at work is slacken it of with vice grips the use a spanner 2 undo the rest
Adam_B

7th Apr 04 at 18:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

did the fronts easy enough last week but the rear ones are real bitch as they were all rusty

well worth it tho
AdamF
Premium Member

7th Apr 04 at 19:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get a brake pipe spanner form halfords and put it round 10mm nut then in on move hit the spanner to crack it off then undo with normal spanner
Adam-D

7th Apr 04 at 19:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wd40 them before you do them let it soak in well
red_12v

7th Apr 04 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a good wire-brushing wouldnt go a-miss before spraying either.

but is best to use proper brake pipe spanner to undo ( quite cheap to buy and money well spent. )

if they still round off you can use mole-grips to undo them!

TOMAS

8th Apr 04 at 10:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers guys but the thing is how does the old stuff come off once the 10mm is undone as it appears to be sandwitched between the bodywork mount. Their seems to be a clip which ive missed off the drawing which sits above the bodywork mount, its kind of like a square circlip with a lip on one side, do I undo the 10mm against the 17mm using proper spanner and then do I have to lever the clip out and the old hose will slide out through the bodywork mount. Sorry for the quizillion questions, thanks for all the help so far. Its embarissing being an authorised Goodridge dealer and not even knowing how to fit them
Demo

8th Apr 04 at 11:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

crows foot spanner to undo the bugger
TOMAS

8th Apr 04 at 13:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just been Machine Mart, £12.00 for a 3 spanner set 10mm - 17mm

I'll be getting down and dirrty soon
Mav 3000

8th Apr 04 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The clips can be gently hammered on and off and only go on one way. Its quite simple, but if it looks confusing give everything a clean, wd40 stubborn joints and take ya time.
TOMAS

9th Apr 04 at 09:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fecking NIGHTMARE! I had a go at this lastnight! Front passenger went fine, rear passenger was hard as hell as it was soo fiddly! Ended up removing the backbox so that I could get a hammer in their to hit the clip back on!! But they did come undone pretty easy

Then the problem started, front drivers - Rounded the fecking union off trying to undo. As for the rear drivers their is NO room to work in their at all, no room for a hammer to hit the clips back on! So I godda go back out their in a bit and bleed up the system, stick the wheels back on and im taking it to a garage! Need whole new drivers front brakeline with union, then I want the mecahanic to fit the drivers side hoses and re-bleed the system!! Bummer

New Poll