corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Driveshafts/cv

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Driveshafts/cv
Dave

User status: Offline
16th Apr 04 at 20:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

While my brother was driving my car at low speed the other day there was a loud clunk and all drive was lost. Engine still revs and speedo goes up, all gears can be selected too.

After having a look underneath the long driveshaft was loose at the gearbox end. I took the two bolts out of the bottom arm and pulled the driveshaft out and it came away with the inside of the cv, I'm guessing this is bad right? I've since taken the six bearings out and they look to be in decent nick but there is still a cage type thing stuck inside.

Is something seriously buggered or is it just a case of putting it all back together? It's stuck at my brothers work and his boss comes back on Monday so I could do wi getting it fixed this weekend but if something has broke I won't waste my time.

It's running 2ltr shafts on an F20 box btw.
DP.

16th Apr 04 at 20:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it came away with the inside of the cv? hmmm... sounds like a nackered cv lol. youve gotta get the rest of it out of the gearbox and then remove the rest of it off the drive shaft..

Theres just one circlip that holds the cv onto the driveshaft which you need to prise apart and either pull off the cv or give it a little tap with a mallet and it should drop off.

a recon inner cv will be about £35 from your local Motor Factors
Dave

16th Apr 04 at 20:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whats knackered though? Is there any reason why can't I just build the cv back up after releasing the inner part fron the shaft?

I'm not overly clued up on all that stuff but I've got the ability to fix what is wrong.

Will it just be a cv for an F20 too?
DP.

16th Apr 04 at 23:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well i dont think that your cv should come apart like that - somethings not quite right ("there was a loud clunk and all drive was lost. "). You could try putting it back together but ask yourself, for the sake of £35 is it worth risking it happening again when your away from home? Im pretty sure it will be fucked tho, lol

big block inner CV Joint i.e. for an Astra GTE
Dave

17th Apr 04 at 16:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers muchly, my brother is in the trade so gets good discount, I'll get one ordered Monday and see what happens.
DP.

18th Apr 04 at 12:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ahh cool.... its not a difficult job... an hour? 2 tops!!

New Poll