corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Camchain sevice intervals????

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Camchain sevice intervals????
Miner

User status: Offline
   31st May 04 at 20:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My car's just passed over 70k (W reg 12v) and its sounding a wee bit rough at tickover and when first accelerating. There's a rattling noise coming from the camchain end when first revved and then it goes away as the revs increase, which makes me think that its not tensioned correctly. Is there a stated sevice interval for checking the tensioner and are they in a habit of going? It's not much but its better to be paranoid than stranded!
LukeGSi

31st May 04 at 20:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get it changed lad, think they should be done at 40k iirc
Miner

31st May 04 at 20:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For the tensioner??? Oh dear, any Idea how much and how hard it is to do? Only got one more week till I start back with SEPA & I'll have a works car which will be handy as it may have to lie off the road for a while! Done most maintenace on the car but not sure about tackling this one myslef!
Adam-D

31st May 04 at 21:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

id get new rollers chain and tensior
not to hard to do your self
but vaux charge a mint to get it done bout £400 someone said on here
Miner

31st May 04 at 22:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Phert! They can ram their £400 quid if it is! If thats the case I'll run it till it breaks & buy a valver or buy an engine from a scrappy! Just dont have that much spare cash I'm afraid!
J100RSA

31st May 04 at 22:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

100k for cam chain u need chain sliders tensioner and a gaskett and is a peice off piss to do
Miner

1st Jun 04 at 10:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds much more like it! Heard off Mig that the tensioner was hydraulic and that changing the oil regularly was sufficient to keep it ticking over smoothly. Any gen on this? Dont wanna doubt anyone but I dont want to take any chances with something like this and end up with 48 bent valves when the mighty V12 goes bang!!
Black Corsa SRi

1st Jun 04 at 15:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not head anything about that, and I agree with Adam-D think it depends on engine but my 1.4 16v had to have cambelt done recently afer 35-40,000 and had running gear changed too cause they ae prone to going on corsa's, so beter to do so when mileage gettin high, mines jsut gone through 90,000 was on 89,000 when had it changed
modded_corsa

1st Jun 04 at 15:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Miner
Sounds much more like it! Heard off Mig that the tensioner was hydraulic and that changing the oil regularly was sufficient to keep it ticking over smoothly. Any gen on this? Dont wanna doubt anyone but I dont want to take any chances with something like this and end up with 48 bent valves when the mighty V12 goes bang!!

you will only have 12 valves to replace wen it goes rong

1.0 12v is a 3cylinder........with 3valves per cyclinder if i remember correct
Miner

1st Jun 04 at 18:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by modded_corsa
quote:

you will only have 12 valves to replace wen it goes rong

1.0 12v is a 3cylinder........with 3valves per cyclinder if i remember correct

Sarcasm alert!

No cam belt, X10XE & X12XE have timing chains which dont need replaced as often as belts. Just the tensioner as far as I know, any one know if it is hydraulic?
Paul_J

1st Jun 04 at 19:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeh These are chain driven - Cam belts need to be done at 40k - but chain's don't need to be replaced for ages!!!

New Poll