corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Rubbing strips

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Rubbing strips
teo

User status: Offline
21st Jun 04 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok so i wanna take off my strips...

Ive read how to do it and ive got everything i need to do it. Only thing is will the paint under the strips differ from that of the rest of the car (discolouration from sunlight etc) and how can i minimise this if i do have it without getting a respray (costing money i dont have) !?! Also by using a heat like a hair dryer to get it off effect the paint too?

Any more tips to getting them off to ease my mind?

Cheers
kash

21st Jun 04 at 22:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The hairdryer won't make a difference, but what colour's the car and how old?

These are huge factors in the discolouration, and would help if we knew this.
mike_1.2LS96

21st Jun 04 at 22:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Boil a kettle, pour directly onto the bump strips, and pull. Hopefully it should all peel away. If not, scrap with drivers license, (thin enough) under hot water. If any remains are left, use cellulose thinners but test on a samll area first, should melt it away. T cut it later..
teo

21st Jun 04 at 23:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its that crappy maroon colour and its N reg, '96 . i guess coz its a dark colour more noticible discolouration!...anyway if it is bad ill put the strips back on
R Lee

21st Jun 04 at 23:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

take a chance... take a chance... take a chance on me...

ahem, yeah
have a go and take them off. might have to get some new rubstrips because you'll more than likely peel the sticky bit off.
kash

21st Jun 04 at 23:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Now we know what's in your music collect GP!

teo, if it's been there 8 years, you can almost guarantee fading has occured, unless it's the metallic colour, then you stand a better chance as metallic's don't seem to fade as much as 'flat' colours.

It's up to you, but if your vinyls faded, it's gonna lok daft if you pull one piece off and replace it because of the fading. So price up a full set of strips before taking the plunge, and work out if it's worth the gamble!
mike_1.2LS96

21st Jun 04 at 23:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by teo
its that crappy maroon colour and its N reg, '96 . i guess coz its a dark colour more noticible discolouration!...anyway if it is bad ill put the strips back on

I got same colour and it turned out fine. Can ye see?

R Lee

21st Jun 04 at 23:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah but so many people have the same colour car as other people in the same reg... all cars have different outcomes.

if you're lucky, they'll come off and no fading. if you're unlucky then you'll probably get a stripe where the bumpstrips were.
i think that it is something to do with the glue and aquer... some sort of reaction csusing the discolouration.

and kash, you love it
leafgreencorsa

22nd Jun 04 at 06:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Best of luck mate. I took the strips off my C by warming them with a hairdryer and peeling them off. Three came off leaving no residue but one left loads of adhesive and it took ages to clean that off with white spirit - still left a feint mark even after T-Cut. Not that I was bothered as I was putting on colour coded replacements (as I think the cars look slab-sided without).

Saw a lovely (not) blue J-plate Fester in Halfords car park last week. The rub strips had been removed but not all the adhesive and then new paint had been sprayed over ..... what a mess!!!
teo

22nd Jun 04 at 11:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cool, cheers for ur help everyone!

Gonna take the plunge and take em off as soon as ive picked my dog up from the vets.......goddamn dog hair in my car :'(

New Poll