corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Too many connections

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Too many connections
dousey

User status: Offline
1st Jul 04 at 21:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Discuss...
lil miss kinky

1st Jul 04 at 21:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Too many connections
purple_corsa_gls

its coz everyones coming to see me
Adam-D

ppl are refreshing the page too much and it slows everything up
Dom

1st Jul 04 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

aye...i got this...tim says theres nothing that can be done, but personally something needs to be done, either to prevent people refreshing the page (which is possible, but could cause other problems) or to increase the connections to the DB.

luckily though i only get it about once a month but i know alot of people suffer from this alot more oh wells, lets hope this gets solved soon
purple_corsa_gls

1st Jul 04 at 21:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a few times through the day, and just then. thats all today!
Graham

1st Jul 04 at 21:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its because if the page doesnt load up in 10 seconds people hit refresh and keep doing it
Tim
Site Administrator

1st Jul 04 at 21:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We allow 256 SIMULTANEOUS connections. This should be enough for hundreds of people to browse the board. At time of writing (when everything is ok and people aren't hammering) then is around 7 connections at any one time... easily within limits.

If a page doens't load as quickly as normal (normally 0.3 seconds etc) then JUST WAIT!
Graham

1st Jul 04 at 21:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there should be a script where if you hit refrsh too many times a pop-up comes on and says "STOP HITTING REFRESH W*NKER"
chanel

1st Jul 04 at 21:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dom

1st Jul 04 at 22:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Graham
there should be a script where if you hit refrsh too many times a pop-up comes on and says "STOP HITTING REFRESH W*NKER"

on a serious note, i did suggest this to tim/ian using server_variables with a time limit, so once you opened a page, you cant refresh (loads page from your cache) for so many minutes...all possible (well 99% sure it is), and would cut this down loads.

Oh wells hope ian/tim gets this sorted, because i dont think saying "stop hitting refresh" will do anything and it used to be fine for me about 3 months back. And this is a mega downer, especially for people writing long posts or tutorials, only to find the "Too Many Connections" error when you press the Post button
Adam

1st Jul 04 at 22:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VisibleMan
quote:

on a serious note, i did suggest this to tim/ian using server_variables with a time limit, so once you opened a page, you cant refresh (loads page from your cache) for so many minutes...all possible (well 99% sure it is), and would cut this down loads.

Oh wells hope ian/tim gets this sorted, because i dont think saying "stop hitting refresh" will do anything and it used to be fine for me about 3 months back. And this is a mega downer, especially for people writing long posts or tutorials, only to find the "Too Many Connections" error when you press the Post button

Sounds like a good idea.

3 months ago 114 (number online now) was like a record with an average of 75 people at a time, now we're looking at 266 people online as a record and over 100 people continuosly between 9am and 12pm
Dom

1st Jul 04 at 22:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Adam
quote:
Originally posted by VisibleMan
quote:

Sounds like a good idea.

3 months ago 114 (number online now) was like a record with an average of 75 people at a time, now we're looking at 266 people online as a record and over 100 people continuosly between 9am and 12pm

ok, so its gone up then....in which cause change the number of connections to the DB to counter this problem and include the refresh part.

This may not seem as a "BIG" problem, but it puts lots of people off posting stuff, even my self when replying to a thread - ive had it where i typed out this long reply and got the error, then did it again..guess what, error again...then just couldnt be asked to redo it. And im sure im not the only one.

And yes, the errors are minimal...maybe 5 a week max (globally), but its still a problem and it pissies off people, therefore it should be looked at and solved...
Adam

1st Jul 04 at 23:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shouldn't be too hard to code, similar to the way you can only post every 20 secs, the board is hacked about to fcuk already, bit more is not gonn hurt
Tim
Site Administrator

1st Jul 04 at 23:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have increased the maximum number of connections. The fact that 266 people were online doesn't mean there was 266 connections. I've seen a 'Too many connections' when there was only 110 people 'online' which would imply that to break a 256 user limit, someone was hitting refresh quite a lot -- maybe I'll reduce the timeouts.

Infact, Apache webserver has a hard-coded limit of 256 servers running at one time...

Stats...

Connections | per hour | %
Failed attempts 22,265 8.40 0.05 %
Aborted 1,099 0.41 0.00 %
Total 46,908,968 17,692.85 100,00%
life_cooler

1st Jul 04 at 23:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know, I was just making the point that there are a lot more people using the site now than there were 2-3 months ago so people might expreiance a bit of disruption every now and then

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Too many connections 23 database queries in 0.0156999 seconds