corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Rubstrips, what are they for and how to remove????

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Rubstrips, what are they for and how to remove????
Rob_sta

User status: Offline
15th Jul 04 at 19:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what exactly are rubstrips for?

whats the best method of removing them? anything to watch out for?
liamC

15th Jul 04 at 19:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure what theyre for tbh...

Only thing I personally can say on them is depending on how old the car is, the colour may slightly be out behind the strips.

No idea how to remove them though.
JOPO

15th Jul 04 at 19:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

jus peel off
then rub the glue off best thing is panel wipe wich we use at work mite be hard to get a hold off but
if yer car is old it mite look dodgy specially on a colour tht fades like flame red cood try n buff it up but mite never look rite most silvers shood be fine blues like arden blue or lighter but darker colours will be more noticable
Graham

15th Jul 04 at 19:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JOPO
jus peel off
then rub the glue off best thing is panel wipe wich we use at work mite be hard to get a hold off but
if yer car is old it mite look dodgy specially on a colour tht fades like flame red cood try n buff it up but mite never look rite most silvers shood be fine blues like arden blue or lighter but darker colours will be more noticable

dont follow this

Heat up the rub strip one by one for about 10 mins, then slowly peel them off heating the glue as you go on.
using various bug and tar removers really rub hard on the glue to remove it.
you may find that they is a slight colour difference so give the car a good wash over, t-cut the whole lot and polish up with a mechanical buffer.
jobs a gooden, ive done this with mine (see avater)
combatprojex

15th Jul 04 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there there because when some tosser opens his door too fast in a car park next to u they dont fcuk ya paintwork!!
Rob_sta

15th Jul 04 at 19:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks a lot for your advice

the car is a 97 and its in dark green so the marks shouldnt be too noticeable
--Dave--
Banned

15th Jul 04 at 21:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i took mine off a few days ago, there was a white strip under it (between where the 2 strips of glue were), it doesnt seem to want to come off, no matter how much t-cut i use.

thinking about getting some colour coded strips and putting them back on...

either that or getting the door re-sprayed.

by the way its a silver car.
Greg_M

16th Jul 04 at 10:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

please dont just pull it off, otherwise the pannel will warp
L330wnz

16th Jul 04 at 10:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I started to remve mine (star silver - 99 plate) and there was a white line runinng along the door so before I went any further just stuck the fukka back on
leafgreencorsa

16th Jul 04 at 11:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gently peeling the strips away whilst warming them with a hairdryer worked well on my C. One door had some adhesive residue which I removed with white spirit. There were some slight marks which would probably have come out with T-Cut but I was fitting new colour coded strips anyway.

They are there to help protect against parking knocks but I feel the car looks slab-sided without any (the Corsa b seems less affected to me). Strange how fashions change as, when I started driving, many cars didn't have rubstrips unless they were range-topping models. There were even companies supplying after-market ones!

New Poll