corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » importing items from hong kong? custom etc

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author importing items from hong kong? custom etc
hitman2k

User status: Offline
7th Nov 04 at 15:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hiya guys is there anyway around it? i.e pack as gift??? my m8s moved there on a placement for 1yr so thinking of importing some items elec i.e lcd screen ICE etc.......
vibrio
Banned

7th Nov 04 at 15:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes if it is sent as a gift
broster
Premium Member

7th Nov 04 at 15:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

iv had syuff sent as car electronics but only valued at 25pounds, that was for a £200 vtec controller. they are getting a bit harsh on stuff marked as gifts, lots get thru but a a fair bit gets checked now
lee gsi

7th Nov 04 at 16:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Declaring it as a gift will make no difference unless it is under valued under £40 or thereabouts if its picked up.

Disguising the contents will make no difference as customs will only see the invoice for the parcel and not the parcel itself, wrongful declaration of items on commercial invoices is a federal offence so dont expect the shipper to be helpful in that way.

If its small thing's its just pot luck if they pick your item.

I import stuff and as its 7-8 big boxes at a time they allways charge custom's.

Check the shipping charge first, if it comes with the likes of UPS/Fed-Ex then it will be pricey and customs charges will apply to anything over the value of $38. Vat @ 17.5% and 10% import duty then the couriers/customs admin charge on top.

[Edited on 07-11-2004 by lee gsi]
Kris TD

7th Nov 04 at 16:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you mis represent the goods and get caught you can get huge fines. we just had customs and excise in at work checking all our imports and exports, if the shipping company get it wrong then they get huge fines.
as said they will check the invoice, they dont actually open the packadge up.
nickyboy01

7th Nov 04 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by lee gsi
Declaring it as a gift will make no difference unless it is under valued under £40 or thereabouts if its picked up.

Disguising the contents will make no difference as customs will only see the invoice for the parcel and not the parcel itself, wrongful declaration of items on commercial invoices is a federal offence so dont expect the shipper to be helpful in that way.

If its small thing's its just pot luck if they pick your item.

I import stuff and as its 7-8 big boxes at a time they allways charge custom's.

Check the shipping charge first, if it comes with the likes of UPS/Fed-Ex then it will be pricey and customs charges will apply to anything over the value of $38. Vat @ 17.5% and 10% import duty then the couriers/customs admin charge on top.

[Edited on 07-11-2004 by lee gsi]

I swear you quoted what i was going to say almost word for word Lee
Sam
Premium Member

7th Nov 04 at 17:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Click here for duty & VAT info from HMCE web site

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » importing items from hong kong? custom etc 23 database queries in 0.0122280 seconds