corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » can OIL-burning/smoke cause Exhaust silencer to rattle!???

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author can OIL-burning/smoke cause Exhaust silencer to rattle!???
MoNkEy MaGiC

User status: Offline
   22nd Apr 05 at 22:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive had my corsa GSi for almost 4 years!
but... few months after i got, it started to burn/leak oil, and since its just gotten worse!

in first year the standard silencer started to rattle badly!
so i got a Scorpion exhaust system, but that silencer started to rattle since first year i had it, and ive had it for about 2-3 years now!!

what could be causing my silencers to rattle???
is it just coincidence, and i may have knocked them both badly over bumps etc or could it be the oil burning or other engine problem???
Jay

23rd Apr 05 at 05:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did you replace the rubber mounts aswell?
Fraser Young

23rd Apr 05 at 11:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How is the engine running?
Regular idle speed etc?
MoNkEy MaGiC

23rd Apr 05 at 11:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i did not replace the rubber mounts on the exhaust! but now it is nice and tight and does not move, but before it was damaged it was quite loose and hanged quite low

the engine is actually fine "now". few years back it had a very bad jumping idleing problem which fixed itself!!
for a 90k engine it still pulls like a train in each gear but it is certainly not as good as it used to be! its quite jerky now upon throttle release and their is a slight flat spot at 3-4k revs!

i maintain the engine all the time, oil and filter change every 3-4 months, making sure everything is fine and topped up or replaced, but it is buring oil quite bad, 600 miles per month to about 2 litres of oil burned! the engine it self is all black coz its covered in oil from the rocker cover down! so im pretty sure the headgasket is pissing out oil on the outside
Fraser Young

23rd Apr 05 at 11:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whats the oil in the engine like? Do you get mayo on end of the dipstick for example?
MoNkEy MaGiC

23rd Apr 05 at 11:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nah mate, dont ever get mayo anywere so im sure the water and oil are staying separate, but i can actually see the oil leaking from the headgasket on the outside!!

New Poll