corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Been thinking......your opinions....

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Been thinking......your opinions....
Adam_B

User status: Offline
27th Jul 05 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have koni adjustable dampers on my MR2 with custom spax springs and they are awesome on track totally useless on the road mind

[Edited on 27-07-2005 by Adam_B]
Adam-D

27th Jul 05 at 20:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmmmmmmmmmmm
would they be yellow koni?
how much are the spings lower by?
bradfincham

28th Jul 05 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the reason you want a car lower to the ground on a track is so that you lower the centre of gravity, hard suspension is not what you want at all.

You need suspension soft enough so the wheels can stay parallel,
its hard to explain,
if i was to take someone out in the dax which is so soft you can rock and bounce the car by hand, against our green locorage kit car which is stiff and low,

the dax outhandles the locorage by a mile as the suspension is working, each bend you can see the shocks absorbing the track unlike the locorage.

Same principal applies to race cars
broster
Premium Member

28th Jul 05 at 16:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

brad, why is it that every person i have spoken to, including the man at racing developments, who track prepare cars for lots of people, say hard is good on a track, and they run 700-800lb springs!!! they win races have cars with moderate power but well set up!!! ill believe them over any web site on the fact of a racing car! on a road you need some absorbsion, as unlike a track a road is bumpy...

the Gaz went for £380, to a mate
VipeR-X

28th Jul 05 at 16:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i bought FK Highsport coilovers only because i got them for £300 off of german e-bay. also i wanted to drop my car 75mm all round.
bradfincham

28th Jul 05 at 16:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im saying the suspension needs to work, if the car is set too stiff then when bodyroll is envolved you will lift the inside wheel, or the contact patch will be reduced, yes tarmac rally springs are a higher pundage as the track is smoother but suspension still needs to be able to dampen, compress and rebound, rather than just bottom out!
Corsa E-Tec

28th Jul 05 at 16:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Broster, what springs you looking at getting to get the rear down?

i dunno what 60mm springs to get as i have eibach.
was thinking FK but a mate said no.
broster
Premium Member

28th Jul 05 at 16:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have been looking at robmarriots springs as he has a stripped corsa, similar to mine, he has koni adjustable with 40mm knoi springs on the front and 60mm .....erm...not sure on them now, but it handles well and looks level. it handles better than mine on coilovers, mine handles shit as i need to use spacers aswell
Corsa E-Tec

28th Jul 05 at 16:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My koni's and eibach worked well on me purple corsa with 16's but it dont handle well in the stripped out GSI on 15's

feels too light, dont grip the road, maybe i just need me 16's on and lowered more.

[Edited on 28-07-2005 by Corsa E-Tec]
Ian W

28th Jul 05 at 16:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I went for coilovers for the simple reason that I wanted to go very low, i was running custom 80mm on the rear of my Gsi with knackered shocks and springs up front..

When the FK Group buy came along I thought why not, I got the height I was after and its not likely my cars going to see a track session any time soon.
Skinz

28th Jul 05 at 16:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dno if its been said yet but if your using coilovers on the road they will be crap, probably worse than a spring set with decent poundage rate, too many bumps in the road for coilovers and the car will jump off the ground losing traction
broster
Premium Member

28th Jul 05 at 16:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

skinz i put that in my original post about them not having progressive travel on the springs
Ian W

28th Jul 05 at 16:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine are much better than my 5 year old leaking Avo's

Try running -80mm springs on some Koni's and see how comftable that would be though

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Been thinking......your opinions.... 23 database queries in 0.0141521 seconds