corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Computer bods - Active directory question

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Computer bods - Active directory question
Skinz

User status: Offline
2nd Aug 05 at 17:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you have 1 server with Windows 2000 server running active directory and you want to replace it with a 2003 box what way do you go about doing it?

We have ran dcpromo on the 2003 server and made that a domain controller in the old domain. Now how do we go about making that the main domain controller and not the other one?

So to sum up the two machines are in the domain as domain controllers both can see active directory stuff but if you diconnect the main one from the network the new one cant see the active directory stuff anymore!!
Tim
Site Administrator

2nd Aug 05 at 17:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There isn't the same PDC/BDC role like there was in NT4 -- all DC's are equal.

What you do need to do however is make the new one a Global Catalog (GC) server, and transfer the five FSMO roles.

Sure if you search on microsoft.com you'll find a guide...

[Edited on 02-08-2005 by Tim]
Skinz

2nd Aug 05 at 17:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Tim I was just looking into this, I think this is the link I need and to use the Migration tool to help.

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=326480

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Computer bods - Active directory question 23 database queries in 0.0088811 seconds