corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Headlights - Warranty Issue? - Opinions?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Headlights - Warranty Issue? - Opinions?
_Allan_

User status: Offline
14th Nov 05 at 16:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right my nearside headlight on an 18 month old 1.8 Sri has developed condensation in the lense. This can be quiet bad at times in the middle and is not around the edges.They are a sealed unit are they not?, this leads me to believe that the seal has gone.This condesation does not go either, not after an hour or so with the lights on.

I've been to Vauxhall and they said that they'll take it into the workshop and have a look at it. If it doesn't go after 20 mins with the lights on or affects the beam pattern then they will replace. However if it doesn't go (which it won't) and it doesn't affect the beam pattern (MOT failure) then they won't replace. My argument is this. Any moisture inside the unit if/when it condenses has nowhere to go. It will remain trapped in the unit and eat away/corode the metal. Also any moisture will not be good for the bulb holders/lights blown etc??

Anyone have any issues with this before or know what should be expected from Vauxhall.

Thanks

Allan

[Edited on 14-11-2005 by _Allan_]
Ojc

14th Nov 05 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm glad someone has brought this up.

My Astra drivers side head lamp is doing the same and I'm wondering if its worth my while going down there and requesting a new headlight under warranty. Opinions?
Kyle T
Premium Member

14th Nov 05 at 16:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There was a brand new astra sports hatch at my local vaux forecourt with condensation in the headlamp

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
mwg

14th Nov 05 at 16:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My Dads drivers side headlight on his MK4 Astra did this and he got a new headlight under warranty but the new one mists up just as bad
Ojc

14th Nov 05 at 16:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right thats in, I have a list already

Drivers side headlight
CD Changer
Something is chaffing when you go over speedhumps, sounds like a buggered shock.

I want Irmscher shocks.
_Allan_

14th Nov 05 at 16:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The thing is though now it's the winter months the water is not going to evaporate. So that's 3/4 months with any water trapped in the light eating it away.
ShEp

14th Nov 05 at 17:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All asrta and corsa headlamps are covered by warranty for condensation, take it to your nearest dealer
Munchie

14th Nov 05 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

could be that ure back cover isnt on correctly/properly

or ure headlight adjuster motor has popped out....get that checked first
ShEp

14th Nov 05 at 19:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it doesnt matter if the cars under warranty it wont cost a penny, take it to your dealer and tell them u aint happy
jr

14th Nov 05 at 19:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Most cars with clear glass do it, its just the wya they are, nealry evrey mk5 golf ive seen does it, my corsa c does it, of theres no water actully laying in the lense (whi there wont be) then i wouldnt worry

mazdaspeed

14th Nov 05 at 19:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The moisture won't eat away at the metal where the bulb attaches. They are designed not to corrode, otherwise they would rot.
_Allan_

14th Nov 05 at 20:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mazdaspeed
The moisture won't eat away at the metal where the bulb attaches. They are designed not to corrode, otherwise they would rot.

I disagree, most metals will rot given moisture. These are not made from expensive stainless steel. More to the point they are supposed to be sealed units. Much like double glazing units. Once a seal is broken then moisture resides between the panes and they have to be replaced. If they were supposed to be like that then the other side would show signs of condensation. I'm not talking a little bit around the edges. It covers most of the front lense in front of the indicator and dipped beam. Also the g/f and mates corsa C's, bought at the same time. Show no sign of this.
It's booked in for Monday anyway to be looked at along with my lower grille which seems to have come loose
c20let

14th Nov 05 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my astra van drivers side std. headlamp condensates all the time
Paul H

14th Nov 05 at 20:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

we had a batch of mini's at work that did this.turned out that when they where valeted the steam cleaners caused them to condensate.bmw changed them free of charge no quibbles.
Doug_SRi

14th Nov 05 at 22:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my brothers did this and he adjusted the bonnet rubbers so it was a little higher and it stopped on his. he read somewhere to try that
whitter45

15th Nov 05 at 00:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My car has xexons and I get condensation when it rains - however unit isn't sealed due to high temps of xexon units

Don't know if this applies to Halogen units
_Allan_

21st Nov 05 at 19:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

erm bumped for OJC and whoever else...

Went to Vaux this morning, but after 2 weeks of having the bloody thing misted up solid it went away on Saturday morning
Told the girl anyway to have a look and it was also booked in to have the lower center grill fixing *coming loose after a slight knock - just told them it was coming loose *

Collected the car and the girl said the tech just fixed the grill back on. *Whole bumper off job* and they have replaced the headlight. She said they did so to cover themselves with it affecting the beam pattern but I wasn't going to argue.

Result

[Edited on 21-11-2005 by _Allan_]
Ojc

22nd Nov 05 at 14:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine is going in on Friday morning for the headlight, CD changer, and that weird gratting noise coming from underneath everytime I go over a speed hump.
3CorsaMeal

22nd Nov 05 at 14:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my bro's astra had this, and they left it, saying its normal and doesn't matter
Ojc

22nd Nov 05 at 15:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your bro had a special edition as well
Rob B

22nd Nov 05 at 15:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not the same but i love the disclaimer you get with ultra lights, stating if they condense then you have to wait till the weather conditions sort it out
broster
Premium Member

22nd Nov 05 at 15:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

remove head light and put it in the airing cuboard for a while, then put bulb in and cover etc while in the warm still, then put back on car, will solve it for a while, but its a common problem, they all do it.
3CorsaMeal

22nd Nov 05 at 15:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
Your bro had a special edition as well

he still has it

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Headlights - Warranty Issue? - Opinions? 24 database queries in 0.4366069 seconds