corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » HELP That Fekin Engine...............

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author HELP That Fekin Engine...............
boyracer2002

User status: Offline
23rd Nov 05 at 16:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Posted before about this BUT

Now i have changed nearly everything i can think of:

When cold the engine runs and sounds fine, when it warms up (must be when the choke knocks off) it sounds like its running on 1 or 2 cylinders but its actually on the 4 still it sounds that rough, only when ticking over it does this but splutters a little low revs, if you rev the car up its fine and ok when opened up (not really driven or tested on the road just problems i have found from having it parked up running) The timing is not out and has had new belts etc and has been lined up correctly

So far i have changed:

Plugs
Leads
Idle Control Valve
Air Flow Meter
Coolant Temp Sensor
Temp Sender Sensor
I have a chipped ECU so i tried a standard one to see if that was the problem
Throttle Position sensor
Thermostat
Lambda Sensor

Im totally out of ideas now what the problem could be:

a basic spec of the engine is:

C16XE
Mantzel
Piper fast road cams
Chipped ECU (not the problem)
Forged Pistons
Stage 2 head
Lightened And Balanced
Polished And Ported
Piper-x Filter

Help appreciated

[Edited on 23-11-2005 by boyracer2002]
ed

23rd Nov 05 at 16:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

At a guess you should be running an FSE Power Boost valve type affair as it sounds like your fuel pressure isn't high enough so when the choke turns off the engine is running lean.
broster
Premium Member

23rd Nov 05 at 16:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
At a guess you should be running an FSE Power Boost valve type affair as it sounds like your fuel pressure isn't high enough so when the choke turns off the engine is running lean.

his chipped ecu should sort the fueling tho? doubt the rail pressure would need to be higher?
boyracer2002

23rd Nov 05 at 16:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have been told not to fit an fse boost valve as they are nothing but problems so im going to pass on that, there are people with similar spec to my engine on here i think do they run them?

i need to somehow find out my fuel pressure and how much fuel is going in etc if the mixture is correct but how will i do this?
miles

23rd Nov 05 at 16:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get it on a rolling road.

Wouldn't be at all suprised if the cam timing is out (its easy to get wrong, even for 'experts'), or the ecu cant cope with the cams.

As for fuel pressure, it shouldn't need changing unless the 'chip' is mapped for more fueling and less duty cycle, which it shouldn't be without warning.

About 3 years ago I had similar problems with a similar spec engine before I really knew anything about them. A so called expert triple checked the cam timing, it was the cause of months of problems and attempts at fixing.
boyracer2002

23rd Nov 05 at 16:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmmmm i spose it might be worth checking the timing again but its a pain in the arse is it not now the engine is in the car and less room to work on it?

Im just fed up with it now BUT how can the timing be out if it runs sweet as a nut when cold and even when warm when its revved it sounds fine
broster
Premium Member

23rd Nov 05 at 16:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

checking the timing isnt that much of a pain to be honest.....
miles

23rd Nov 05 at 16:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cam profiles / timing work differently at different rpm.

Do a compression test.
boyracer2002

23rd Nov 05 at 16:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok cheers guys spose its worth checking

Any other ideas though if not these (split breather pipes etc??)??
shane2corsa

23rd Nov 05 at 17:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this engine got a MAP sensor on the bulkhed? if so check/borrow one, and make sure theres loads of vacuum when you pull the pipe off with it running.
ed

23rd Nov 05 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That 5kchaap has got an FSE valve on his, he said he needed it after fitting different cams...
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

23rd Nov 05 at 21:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what spec are the cams? if the cams are opening for too long and the ecu hasnt been mapped to match, then the amount of time the injectors are open might be too short. this would almost certainly cause hesitation under load.

if the ecu was mapped to match the engine spec then fuel pressure should be fine, although one thing i noticed after fitting my throttle bodies and trying to get them set up using an adjustable fuel pressure regulator was how precise fuel pressure needs to be! slightly too much and it would run like shoot. not enough and it would cough and splutter.

to eliminate one idea i have, is to check if the problem is only there while its in closed loop. (running rich while its cold) to do this, use the old cts that you have, put this onto the engine (to stop coolant piss1ng out ). attatch the the new cts to the wiring loom and tape it up out of the way (away from the heat of the engine keep the sensor cold if possible) to stop it going open circuit and allowing the car to run at its normal fuelling rate set by the ecu.

if the car runs fine when its warm, this means the problem is electrical or down to fuelling. if it still runs shoot when its warm, you know the problem is not electrical and its likely to be mechanical. i.e blocked breather etc....

if you need any help i think you have my number

[Edited on 23-11-2005 by corsa808]
boyracer2002

25th Nov 05 at 20:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsa808

to eliminate one idea i have, is to check if the problem is only there while its in closed loop. (running rich while its cold) to do this, use the old cts that you have, put this onto the engine (to stop coolant piss1ng out ). attatch the the new cts to the wiring loom and tape it up out of the way (away from the heat of the engine keep the sensor cold if possible) to stop it going open circuit and allowing the car to run at its normal fuelling rate set by the ecu.

if the car runs fine when its warm, this means the problem is electrical or down to fuelling. if it still runs shoot when its warm, you know the problem is not electrical and its likely to be mechanical. i.e blocked breather etc....

if you need any help i think you have my number

[Edited on 23-11-2005 by corsa808]
you are a genious mate i have done this tonight and it ran and ran and ran with the cts out of the way in the freezing cold air, however there was a splutter when i tried to rev it each time BUT it didnt do the usual problem, what could i do now i have found out its to do with the cts??

I unplugged the thing completely so the wire was dangling about on its own and the problem happened, i plugged it onto thecar so was reading warm and it happened again but like you said tape it out of the way with the old sensor it was fine.
Nic Barnes

25th Nov 05 at 20:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whats with the muppetsport phrase of the day???????? lol
RobHayes

25th Nov 05 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think you should donate it to me
boyracer2002

25th Nov 05 at 20:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think i might be soon tbh
Dave A

25th Nov 05 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this now means that the problem is an electrical/ fuelling problem.

when the cts is cold, the ecu adjusts the mixture to run rich. when its warm, it runs slightly leaner. for some reason the car doesnt like it when its running lean.

another possibility is that when it goes open circuit (cts is warm) the ecu uses the other sensors on the engine to calculate the fuel mixture more accurately.

mainly the air flow meter and lambda. try unplugging these one at a time and seeing if the problem is still there. this will cause the ecu to replace the 'missing' reading from the sensor with a pre-determined value. do this with the car running warm and the cts plugged in as normal. see if that makes a difference.

if you get stuck, i think you have my number
boyracer2002

25th Nov 05 at 22:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers mate will do, al try it tomorrow after work and if i get stuck i will be giving you a call if thats ok?? yeh i have your number

Thanks for this "finally" getting somewhere with it now

Also sprung a water leak tonight from somewhere will look tomorrow

But the engine revs to something highly stupid, revved it tonight went from tick over to redline or welllllll past with ease if it had numbers on the clocks so high it would be 9 or 10 LOL almost went back to the start revved so quick and easy compared the old gsi engine and sri engine i previously had in
Dave A

25th Nov 05 at 22:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes mate, just give me a ring if you get stuck

New Poll