corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Could under-powered wiring make Amp/Speakers cut out?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Could under-powered wiring make Amp/Speakers cut out?
PK1
Banned

User status: Offline
2nd Jan 06 at 17:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got a 400w amp with a 360w wiring kit...

My speakers kept cutting out when I turned the volume up, and I put this down to the anti-distortion on the amp, although it was no way near distorting

After looking a bit more I can see that the whole amp is losing power

Is it because of 360w wiring on a 400w amp?

Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
2nd Jan 06 at 19:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Quick answer - yes.

The fitting kit either is over-rated at 360w and has no headroom or the amp is inefficient and is drawing lots of current in order to give you 400w of amplification.

Problem with saying a fitting kit will suit an amp based on its power output is it doesn't take in to account how much current it draws, and that can vary depending on the quality of the amp.

Easiest way to get a ball park figure of what your amp is drawing is to look at the fuses its fitted with. Your wiring should be rated to the same amount.

I would also check the earth to make sure that is sound, this should be the closest fixed bit of bodywork, and the fitting should either be cleaned of paint or made with a star washer or similar to ensure good contact.
Ricky-Lee53

4th Jan 06 at 12:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It is actually more critical than you think.
Its much better to have bigger cable from the start. You can pick 4awg cable up for under £50 posted from www.caraudiodirect.co.uk.
If you use thin cable the Voltage drop can BREAK the amp.
Thicker cable keeps the voltage higher. You get more power, more safety and room to upgrade in the future.
Regards
Ricky
MR2Mike

4th Jan 06 at 12:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as above get a 4 awg kit
Martin

4th Jan 06 at 12:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.cablesexpress.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=56

£19.90

New Poll