corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » What a shit weekend, was supposed 2 have a fella come look at my car.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author What a shit weekend, was supposed 2 have a fella come look at my car.
Dan
Premium Member

User status: Offline
26th Feb 06 at 20:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well sat night i decided to drive over to work at about 6pm to wash and polish the car and give it a hoover out etc.

did all that got it looking brilliant, decided to pop to tescos, come out, start the car up, running like shit and like its being held back, check the obvious but nothing wrong, decided to give it a slow drive home and make it back, only 10miles max.

got about half way and start to smell smoke, decided to make it to next pull in bout half a mile away, and then starts glowing pieces of red out the back along with sparks etc

pull over and get out, the cat was glowing mega red ran to the pub down the road and got the fire extinguisher, but it wasnt needed luckily.

waited for it to cool down and kept driving and pulling over for 5mins to keep it as cool as i could. managed to get it home. but it was still glowing mega red so got the hose pipe under it.

so now i gotta find a trailer and transport it 50miles to the powerflow dealer.

so gutted as was hoping i could take the guy who came to have a look for a tst drive.

he understood what happend and came to my house to view it. luckily its happend before i sell it really.

nevermind nothing to major i guess, just means a new cat needs fitting and alot of hassle

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
p4uls corsa

26th Feb 06 at 20:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

gutting hope u get it sorted
Sam
Premium Member

26th Feb 06 at 20:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've heard of glowing turbos but glowing cats?
Jonny P

26th Feb 06 at 20:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what about glowing dogs?

suppose i know what ur saying tho, best going now isn't it.
Sam
Premium Member

26th Feb 06 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was the exhaust manifold glowing as well, or was it just the cat?
Rob_Corsa

26th Feb 06 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my mates cat was glowing red once and running like shit. Turned out his plug leads were fooked and fuel was getting passed through into the exhaust and ignited there. Well thats what the garage told him but anyway, new leads and problem was gone. Didnt need a new cat either.
Steve
Premium Member

26th Feb 06 at 20:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah a cat wouldnt just glow red, it must be taking on fuel and burning it
FozzyGSI

26th Feb 06 at 20:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Corsa
my mates cat was glowing red once and running like shit. Turned out his plug leads were fooked and fuel was getting passed through into the exhaust and ignited there. Well thats what the garage told him but anyway, new leads and problem was gone. Didnt need a new cat either.

I learnt this the hard way and bought a new cat only to find the new cat cat glowing Found out it was running rough as shit turned out to be the ignition amplifier.
Dan
Premium Member

26th Feb 06 at 21:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it was just the cat glowing red, nothing else. i think its cos i had a 2nd hand 1 fitted, it was holding back alot a few weeks ago but sorted itself out now this, im pretty sure it will b the cat

Dan
Premium Member

26th Feb 06 at 21:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

also the cat would glow red if it was broken up and blocked, holding the red hot gases in it

Dan
Premium Member

26th Feb 06 at 21:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it did this when i first got the cav it was in and was the cat, exactly the same symptoms, thats why the guy was selling it, only found out when it set light to the car :S

Steve
Premium Member

26th Feb 06 at 21:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dan
also the cat would glow red if it was broken up and blocked, holding the red hot gases in it

exhaust gases wouldnt be anywher near hot enough at that point to make steel glow red
langey

26th Feb 06 at 21:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my cat did this, car was running shit, so i just carrie don nailing home, cat was glowing almost white hot

then next week or so i carried on driving it just taking it easy, then drove it a good few miles up the motorway to get a full system put in by the guys at topgear the on the way home, was running sweet as ever.

*edit*

after reading fozzygsi's post, it could be that, the day before i went to topgear, i changed the leads and plugs and car seemed to run better but only for a while then it was running ruff again. like i say though, that was stil with the 1.4 exhaurst on and cat, on the xe

[Edited on 26-02-2006 by langey]
Dan
Premium Member

26th Feb 06 at 21:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what like 3ft from the manifold, i think they would

langey

26th Feb 06 at 21:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Sam
quote:
Originally posted by Dan

exhaust gases wouldnt be anywher near hot enough at that point to make steel glow red

have you felt an exhaust under the car when the cars been running a while?
Steve
Premium Member

26th Feb 06 at 22:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah, not hot to make steel glow
Dan
Premium Member

27th Feb 06 at 15:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think it would b, ive seen it happen 2 quite a few cars, could still b plugs n leads, but it runs ok at idle doesnt miss a beat

Mikorsa16v

27th Feb 06 at 18:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

when an engine is getting nailed its not abnormal (depending on the engine) for the EGT to reach 800-900oC Remember seeing a Nova LET and the EGT nearly touched 1000oC not sure where the sensor is though

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » What a shit weekend, was supposed 2 have a fella come look at my car. 24 database queries in 0.0105031 seconds