corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » 2k paint and lacquar

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 2k paint and lacquar
ryan101

User status: Offline
8th Apr 06 at 19:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have ordered my pant to paint my whole car i am painting 2 k but when i was ordering the paint the guy i ordered it off said i dont need lacquar as 2k paint has a gloss finish to it i want it really shiny though will it be shiny enough without any lacquar? cheers
johnny27

8th Apr 06 at 19:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes you would be best lacquering it. 2k white is just like 2k red, it fades badly and goes different shades, plus if you lacquer it you prevent this and really give it a great glossy finish. I would def go for the lacquer. Plus you would have a great durable finish with the hard 2k resin paint, it sorta turns into a plastic like strenght and a 2k lacquer will double this strenght and as said you have a better finish. BTW a straight 2k white is not very shiney at all.
johnny27

8th Apr 06 at 19:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i mean shine as in reflection, even viewed at angles its still not great
ryan101

8th Apr 06 at 21:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks mate i am painting it 2k white aswell so will get some lacquer ordered soon then
Predator Corsa

9th Apr 06 at 08:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nothing to do with that, if its a solid colur it dont need laquer, cos the shine is built into the paint, if its metallic then it need laquer. mattalic paint sprays on matt and dull, the the laquer brings up the shine and holds the metallic flakes in.

johnny27

9th Apr 06 at 08:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you want a great finish use the lacquer. All brand new car's in striaght colours are even lacquered now, thats over 2 pac, white 2k will fade quicker than you think. I do have experience with 2k white and would never paint it without lacquer. White 2k is not like black which is extremely glossy, it has some shine but not overly so. Older car's used 2k white, but as i said no manufacters use 2k paints anymore with out lacquer. I think it is worth the extra money, you could regret it in a year or so if you decide not to use lacquer.
johnny27

9th Apr 06 at 08:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you would also have a exteremly hard wearing paint with 2k paint and 2k lacquer.
ryan101

9th Apr 06 at 10:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how many coats of lacquar will i need to put on and what is the ratio of mix to hardner thinners etc?
johnny27

9th Apr 06 at 12:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ratio depends on what lacquer it is, it will usually say on the tin, if not ask the person your buying it off. 1st coat of lacquer is very thin, you just want to give it a haze, don't be tempted to put a good coat on your first coat, as it will only run, it will look crappy and dull but thats normal on first coat. Then give 2 coats of ordinary thickness.
loo_goblin

9th Apr 06 at 17:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i always thought lacquer gave it a bit of protection, but my dad always sprays the trucks with out lacquer
johnny27

9th Apr 06 at 17:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well for years striaght 2k paints where used alone. But you only need to look at a flame red or glacier white vauxhall and you'll know what was'nt lacquered. cheers
ed

10th Apr 06 at 10:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Laquer is for sealing the solids into metalic and pearlescent paints which are water based colours. You don't need to laquer a flat colour if they are 2k. Cars are painted in cellulose paints from the factory.
johnny27

10th Apr 06 at 12:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

celluose is never used in a factory anymore, its soft paint Its all met base and lacquer. Even a striaght colour like a solid is lacquered over, thats for definete. If you see the new striaght midnight blue(ish) colour on a new astra, u'd see what i mean, its not mettalic but has a real glossy finsih as its lacquered. The point i'm making is you don't have to lacquer over 2k. But its a hell of alot better if you do, if you think 2k solids are glossy without lacquer, there is a massive difference when lacquered, the finish dose'nt even compare, plus there has never been a 2pac paint that dose'nt fade after a few years.
But even for the finsih alone never mind protection, once you lacquer over a solid you'll never use 2k alone again (providing its your own work and not what a customer wants cheap.) After all you want to give the white car a super finish, lacquer will do that, and you'll not need the t-cut ever 7-8 months. Why not paint it once, have it a stunning finsih and never have to touch it, even stonechips cause alot less damage when you've used 2k paint and 2k lacquer, with these two its almost as strong as a powercoat. As 2ks hardner like a resin/plastic.
loo_goblin

10th Apr 06 at 18:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the original corsa b colours are waterbased well mine is, want to do it in 2-pack as its sooo shiney
j7 gkk

12th Apr 06 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont laquer white, laquer has a slight tint to it, and can send it slightly brown, also u have to either buy white basecoat or convert ur pait to base coat, also by laquering it it takes twice the time as you have to paint it twice, and works out a bit more expansive, also if you flat and buff the car u wont tell if it has been laqured or not, and a stright colour is cheaper.
johnny27

13th Apr 06 at 09:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you don't have to change to basecoat, i don't know why ppl say that, 2pac is better than basecoat to lacquer over. And a good lacquer like glasurit is clear and never fades or tints. Have you noticed any glacier white vauxhalls? they fade quite bad and have little shine, and thats white 2k for you. Lacquer is not difficult or hard to spray like some ppl here would have you beleive, i use it regular and its quite easy to get the hang off. And yes it is more expensive to use lacquer but its money well spent foir peace of mind. And once again, 2k white is okay fresh but lacqueres looks 5 times more glossy, its your call, imo i never use a 2k without lacquer.

New Poll