corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Storage server Q

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Storage server Q
Dom

User status: Offline
12th Jul 06 at 18:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thinking of creating a storage server for the network using a few old drives and components lying around etc

But just wondering if its possible to expand across multiple physical drives to create one whole partition? eg - i have 4 HDs (100, 4, 60, 20 Gigs) and the OS sees it as a single 184Gig partiton?

If this is possible, is it just a case of planting the drives into the system? And i take it it would also work across PCI IDE ATA connections? Also can it be done with a mixture of SATA and IDE drives?

cheers all
Leighton

12th Jul 06 at 18:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no
you can raid SATA drives and IDE drives so that they show up as one drive but you cannot do it with the 2 dif types.
or that is what i think anyway

Leighton
jamesw

12th Jul 06 at 18:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

convert disks to dynamic, and create a spanned volume , however your system boot drive can not be a dynamic disk, but all the rest could, dynamic disks are only support in windows xp pro, not in windows xp home - unless your running a server operating system, in which case of course they also support dynamic disks.

[Edited on 12-07-2006 by jamesw]

My mistake, the system drive can be converted to dynamic as long as your not dual booting with something like windows 98 etc

Dom

12th Jul 06 at 19:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers, what i wanted to hear
idea was to use compact flash for the OS and then just wack old HDs in for storage and i take it using XP Pro (does win 2k support this?) can handle sata and IDE drives in this way?

also is there any perfomance hits doing this? what about mixing 5400 and 7200 rpm drives? And im guessing it works similarly to Raid 0 where the files are stripped across the multiple drives?

tar again
jamesw

12th Jul 06 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

99% sure 2k pro will do the job, i know it supports dynamic disks so i cant see any reason why not, also in at least xp pro you can created stripped volumes which would be great for perfomance, however volumes need to be identicle in size - Mixing SATA and IDE shouldnt be a prob either. Compact flash for the OS would be very trick - some mad hard drive technology coming in now

Dom

12th Jul 06 at 19:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers fella, stripped volumes it isnt going to be then as all my old drives are a mixed batch

CF for the OS has been done quite a bit, especially with people using mini-itx systems wheres CF boards are available for IDE (CF uses an IDE interface so can be directly controlled without conversion etc) - only problems that have risen is the fact CF isnt that good for multiple read and writes, but in a storage server situation im guessing it should be fine...hopefully

cheers for the help

New Poll