corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » A bit of quick help needed. Renault question.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author A bit of quick help needed. Renault question.
Dean_W

User status: Offline
21st Sep 06 at 09:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A girl i know has sent her 3 month old Clio 197 into the garage. Its running on 3.

It has had the coil replaced one already. My suspisions are the same fault.

They have told her the car is designed to run on Super, but she has been using normal unleaded. They say this could lead to a knackered engine.

I smell bullshit. Please confirm.
Cybermonkey

21st Sep 06 at 09:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

absolute BS. will run on 91RON, albeit not very well.
3CorsaMeal

21st Sep 06 at 09:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

surely newer engines all adapt to the fuel be it 95 or 98 or whatever you get now
Dean_W

21st Sep 06 at 09:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought so. I know cars designed for 95 can run on 97, wasn't sure of the other way round.

Cheers for that guys.
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

21st Sep 06 at 09:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

typical renault bullshit

what they meant to say was:

well, we are all a bit useless really and apart from changing the coilpack for a new one we are unable to diagnose the fault as we are not real mechanics. We rely on computers to diagnose faults these days. So because of our lack of training and general mechanical and electrical knowlegde we will blame the customer by coming up with some sort of lie that will put us in the clear.
Dave A

21st Sep 06 at 10:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A lad I know is an apprentice mechanic with renault, in 1 1/2 yeas there he has learned how to plug in a diagnostics machine and replace sensors.

I tought him more about how an engine actually worked in 15 mins when he watched me setting up my throttle bodies, he didnt even know what compression and ignition was, didnt know what TDC was, didnt know what a crank was, didnt understand even the basics of engines, he thought the rocker cover gasket was the head gasket FFS!

in 6 months time he will be working on cars by himself
Dean_W

21st Sep 06 at 10:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought as much Dave.
--DAN--

21st Sep 06 at 10:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't get me started on fucking Renault!!!!

They are useless, lying wankers.!!!

I had new brake discs fitted all round by them, then my missus took it in for a service a week later and they tried to tell her the discs were knackered and wanted 300 notes to replace them!!! To say I had a few words with them would be an understatement. Then a few weeks later the alternator went, got a new one fitted under warrenty, picked the car up on the morning of Christmas Eve with a new alternator, Boxing Day I'm flying down the motorway to relatives and there a bit of a bang and the battery light comes on then it cuts out, I pulled on to the hard shoulder and took a look under the bonnet, no bloody alternator, they'd not bolted it in and it'd fallen off at 85mph!!! Anyway back it went to the dealers, whilst it was there they managed to snap the cambelt with the engine running and smashed 16 valves, hence why I longer have the Clio.

Essay Sorry.
Cybermonkey

21st Sep 06 at 10:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dickheads!!
Dave A

21st Sep 06 at 10:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ford are just as bad, a mate took focus there recently as it was running on 3 cylinders, they replaced the coil pack, still ran rough, replace the leads, plugs, lambda, then blamed a faulty engine loom, replaced that, no better, went on for 2 weeks.

I went to ford to have a look at the car as they said they were stumped. I had checked all the earths etc... couldnt find the fault.

looked at the coil pack, the monkeys at ford had fitted the leads in the right order on the coil pack but they looked odd, some were stretched and others were slack. the stickers on it that identified the relevant cylinder on the coilpack had been stuck on upside down swapped the leads round and it was fine.

[Edited on 21-09-2006 by Dave A]
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

21st Sep 06 at 10:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dave A
A lad I know is an apprentice mechanic with renault, in 1 1/2 yeas there he has learned how to plug in a diagnostics machine and replace sensors.

I tought him more about how an engine actually worked in 15 mins when he watched me setting up my throttle bodies, he didnt even know what compression and ignition was, didnt know what TDC was, didnt know what a crank was, didnt understand even the basics of engines, he thought the rocker cover gasket was the head gasket FFS!

in 6 months time he will be working on cars by himself

scary shit!!
Rich_J_Williams

21st Sep 06 at 11:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
ford are just as bad, a mate took focus there recently as it was running on 3 cylinders, they replaced the coil pack, still ran rough, replace the leads, plugs, lambda, then blamed a faulty engine loom, replaced that, no better, went on for 2 weeks.

I went to ford to have a look at the car as they said they were stumped. I had checked all the earths etc... couldnt find the fault.

looked at the coil pack, the monkeys at ford had fitted the leads in the right order on the coil pack but they looked odd, some were stretched and others were slack. the stickers on it that identified the relevant cylinder on the coilpack had been stuck on upside down swapped the leads round and it was fine.

[Edited on 21-09-2006 by Dave A]

That is F00king shockin!!!!
Marshall

21st Sep 06 at 14:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sh!t just about to start as a renault apprentice in a week or two.
Steve
Premium Member

21st Sep 06 at 14:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
typical renault bullshit

what they meant to say was:

well, we are all a bit useless really and apart from changing the coilpack for a new one we are unable to diagnose the fault as we are not real mechanics. We rely on computers to diagnose faults these days. So because of our lack of training and general mechanical and electrical knowlegde we will blame the customer by coming up with some sort of lie that will put us in the clear.

exactly correct
daz_SRi

21st Sep 06 at 18:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its a shame to hear these storys, ive just finished an apprenticeship with VW, i consider myself a good mechanic and im actually aware how an engine works, what the hell TDC is, and i can do a hell of a lot more than plug in a computer and cange a few sensors. The thing people forget is, a computer is only as good as the person who's using it and half the time they put you on the right track in the wrong direction. example: Component 'X' not working, the computer will tell you 'X' is faulty, when actually you'll find the fuse has blown due to a short circuit. Its being able to think about the problem at hand and not just changing bits and bobs because a computer screen tells you so.

I spent 3 years in the VW dealer with trips for 2 week blocks at college every 2 months (approx.) and the amount of stuff i learnt is unreal, ive got at least 10 folders full of information on everything from Lambda probes to engine structure to CAN data buses and gearboxes.

The Renault apprentice situation mentioned is nothing short of scary. As is the alternator story. Its these dickheads who give us hard working, knowledgeable mechanics a bad name
Dave A

21st Sep 06 at 18:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

where did you go to college?

I went to a place in telford, was
daz_SRi

21st Sep 06 at 20:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Stephenson college, coalville just outside leicester, some silly vw 'approved' colleges of which there were 5 (the training company has changed hands now).

Hated the place, had to stay in peoples houses in tiny litle villages and theres literally bugger all there apart from fields and a pub every now and again full of weird locals

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » A bit of quick help needed. Renault question. 23 database queries in 0.0128651 seconds