corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Tonights assignment question...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Tonights assignment question...
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Offline
2nd Oct 06 at 16:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Need help, need a list of all the ways in which businesses would need to return data to base via mobile technologies when they're out on a job. Can be anything from emailing photographs of a car in a bodyshop for insurance assessment to texting your plumber to find out when they can fit you in.

Cheers
John

2nd Oct 06 at 16:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surveyors getting details of a job back to base so it can be priced up to speed up the process?

Council vans have a tracker that sends data back via sms.
Jules

2nd Oct 06 at 16:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When the basement of my house got flooded the assesor came round, took pics with a digital camera, took measurements of room sizes with a laser, filled in pre made forms on his laptop he then sent all this straight back to his office via his laptop (connected via his mobilephone (GPRS I assume)) so the claim would already of started processing before he had even left my house!
Antz

2nd Oct 06 at 16:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The contracted computer enginers who came out to us when I worked for LCC used to have PDA's with software on that they'd fill in and it's sms the data back to thier office and get updated on the system to say wether the job had been done or what action had been taken and stuff.
Cosmo

2nd Oct 06 at 17:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

journalists send stories back from location so they can meet deadlines more easily.
gasman dan

2nd Oct 06 at 17:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i work on a gas maintennance contract for a council, when we fill in the landlords gas safety certificate (cp12) its a triplicate form with a copy for the council, one for the tenant and one for my companys records. were now using new phones that give us a schedule of which houses to go to and when. but more interestingly we are being given a data pen i think its called. basically, as we fill in the cp12 it records a digital image of it then once complete bluetooths the data to my phone then my phone sends it back to the main computer in the office. creatin a lot of stress for the engineers tho as the cp12 is a legal document and if altered and the worst happens someone could end up goin to jail! longwinded i know but this fascinated me
Jodi_the_g

3rd Oct 06 at 23:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We have asbestos Surveyors that take pictures of infected zones, take samples and number them on site the information is then sent remotely back to head office for referances on a centeral database, to a 3rd party lab expecting the samples.

[Edited on 03-10-2006 by Jodi_the_g]

New Poll