corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » The ashes, any 1 placed a bet??

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author The ashes, any 1 placed a bet??
Dan
Premium Member

User status: Offline
22nd Nov 06 at 21:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as title??

ive just put 20 on england to win 1st match @ 6/1

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
Cavey

22nd Nov 06 at 22:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As much as it hurts to say it, i dont think england have much of a chance, although you'd have said that last year as well...

And the aussie strike force is getting older and older, so who knows.

As for betting, i've done shit recently so gonna avoid it for now, unless i can pick first catcher or something like that, might have a piss about bet on that
Cavey

22nd Nov 06 at 22:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The main question is... do i go down the pub to watch it, (could get beer) or stay at home and watch it downstairs (warm, comfy, if i get tired can walk upstairs to sleep)
Cavey

22nd Nov 06 at 23:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have, however, just joined you and put £4.30 on an england win \o/

Nothing like blind optimism
Cosmo

22nd Nov 06 at 23:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I put a bet on that it will be boring and not really interest me...think Im going to win
Marc

23rd Nov 06 at 08:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aren't they getting their asses kicked?

(I know nothing about cricket)
Nath

23rd Nov 06 at 08:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes, but we can afford to drag out anything that looks like a loss as if we draw the series we retain the Ashes.
sparkywrex

23rd Nov 06 at 11:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why do aussies call the english POMS??? confused here

theyre getting their arse kisked lets hope tonights play brings better luck
Nath

23rd Nov 06 at 13:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One theory is that, as the majority of early immigrants to Australia were British, it is rhyming slang for "immigrant" from a contraction of the word "pomegranate", or possibly more directly related to the appearance of the fruit, as it bears a more than passing resemblance to the typical pale complexioned Briton's skin after his or her first few days living under the hot Australian sun.

Another theory is that POM is a shortened acronym of Prisoner of His/Her Majesty (POHM). As many of Australia's first settlers were convicts, sentenced to transportation, this theory holds that upon arrival in the country they would be given a uniform with POHM emblazoned on the back, and that convicts with an extended stay on Australian soil would no longer have to wear the shirt and would often refer to newer entrants into the country as "Pohmmys". Other suggestions hold that POM is a different acronym, such as "Prisoner of Mother England" or "Port of Melbourne". These etymologies are believed to be false, as the term "pommy" was coined long before acronyms were used in common parlance. Moreover, there is no record of prisoners in Australia ever wearing such uniforms.

The use of the word 'Pom' is contentious. Some British people living in Australasia find the term offensive and demeaning, others find it harmless and amusing. Attitudes to the use of the word have varied over the years, from the 1960s when slogans such as 'bash a pom a day' were heard on New Zealand radio, to today, when the word has become so entrenched that few Australians and New Zealanders see any reason to avoid using the word, some even justifying the use of the word as being 'endearing'. On September 27, 2006, the Australian cricketing authority Cricket Australia ruled that it was OK for cricket fans to refer to the English as 'Poms' after a wide-ranging review on potentially racist terms.

Also its one innings, there's a long way to go yet. IIRC we lost the first test in the last Ashes series.
Cavey

23rd Nov 06 at 14:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's always been known as a very good batting pitch, and judging by the commentary last night this test it's in the best shape it's been in for ages for batting. So not suprising they're racking up a decent total (Ponting is/was the worlds no.1 batsman after all)

2 of our fast bowlers are swing bowlers, apparently there's no swing out there, so they're pretty screwed really, and Harmison wasn't bowling well either.

We'll see what happens when we get in bat, probably tomorrow afternoon/evening sometime i'd imagine.
Ojc

23rd Nov 06 at 15:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We are going to get absolutely whooped.
Nath

24th Nov 06 at 08:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
We are going to get absolutely whooped.

Now I agree.

I hate the fact Glenn 'typical big mouth Aussie twat' McGrath took two wickets. I was preying the gobby shite would be expensive. Sadly not
sparkywrex

24th Nov 06 at 16:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

harmison needs to get his head back on the game!

lets hope we can reach 250 tonight without losing a wicket

watched it from 12 til 2 fell asleep woke up at 7am saw we were batting and saw our total runs i thought ohhh fuckk!!!!!
Lukemax

24th Nov 06 at 21:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Staying up tonight to watch the Cricket but i wouldnt bet on it, but if i did have a few quid to play with i would put it on England to get beat 5-0 in the ashes!
sparkywrex

25th Nov 06 at 09:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

woke up 6am expecting to see us on something like 320-7 all out 150 somthing!!!! wtf is going on
X 60RSA

25th Nov 06 at 18:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Harmison needs to work on his bowling action, he's all over the shop.

England dont really have any opening batsmen we can rely on. By number 5 we've got half rate batsmen, ok they can put on some good runs if need be but you can't really rely on them.

The Ozzies have the like of Bret lee down around number 8-9 and he nearly got 50 iirc.

The australian team is an aging side, but its a damn good set up. I think when the ashes comes here again it might be a different story as the experienced player might have dropped out.

I would love to see us win..........problem is........cant see it, we relied on rain to win the ashes.
sparkywrex

26th Nov 06 at 22:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nice little fightback, 290-5 can see us reaching 400 going to be too little too late but least lads have got credit back, pietersen stays in we got chance of getting more runs

horrible waking up again at 5am and ya stomach turns before ya eyes can properly see the score, come on england!!!
Cavey

27th Nov 06 at 01:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lost, obviously.

But they'll hopefully get a bit of confidence back on the batting front after the day 4 performance.

Only thing is, over their "2 innings" we still only took 10 wickets, so the bowling might still be a bit shoddy when the second tests starts on thursday night/friday morning
Nath

27th Nov 06 at 09:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fletch hinted at 2 spinners. If the Adelaide pitch crumbles like the Gabba did that could work. We can definately take something out of our batting in the 2nd innings too. All is not lost yet.
sparkywrex

27th Nov 06 at 23:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

anyone hear pietersen calling warne a fuckwit! lmao, warne and many australian players are arrogant clarke the bowler is a class example

i hate the aussies bring on second test

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » The ashes, any 1 placed a bet?? 25 database queries in 0.0151272 seconds