corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Buying a car with a private plate

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Buying a car with a private plate
jr

User status: Offline
7th Feb 07 at 16:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

for someone else, Whats the deal with buying a car with a plate that the owner wants back

do they put the plate on rentition before it is sold, and then get a new plate put on the car, or is it done by the new owner ?

cheers
deanmcreynolds26

7th Feb 07 at 16:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mav sold his veccy with p/plate then bought his p-plate back from rebaruk.. sure he would know!
deano87

7th Feb 07 at 16:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jr
for someone else, Whats the deal with buying a car with a plate that the owner wants back

do they put the plate on rentition before it is sold, and then get a new plate put on the car, or is it done by the new owner ?

cheers

I don't think it really matters. Whoever is buying the car, and are happy to co-operate, then they can get the plate put on retention, otherwise the current owners should do it if they're that desperate.
mav

7th Feb 07 at 16:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can wait on the seller getting the plate removed and another put on car by DVLA, would take anything from 1-6 weeks..

Or if you have the car need to go to DVLA and get plate removed and put on retention (£25 Per year) and then give the buyer back the paperwork for the Private plate. You will automatically get another plate issued for the car.
Graeme
Premium Member

7th Feb 07 at 16:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

really should be done by the current owner but then it takes upto 6 weeks to get the log book back and stuff!
Graeme
Premium Member

7th Feb 07 at 16:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but remeber mav its gona cost £105 the time when you take it off, £80 to take it off the car and to put it back on the next one and the extra £25 is to retain it for the year!
Marc

7th Feb 07 at 16:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I took mine off before selling, you'd think others would do the same.
mav

7th Feb 07 at 16:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Graeme
but remeber mav its gona cost £105 the time when you take it off, £80 to take it off the car and to put it back on the next one and the extra £25 is to retain it for the year!

it will cost you yeah if you own the car £105 in total to get plate removed and put on retention and new plate issued.....So unless seller pays this get him to do it prior to sale...

[Edited on 07-02-2007 by mav]
jr

7th Feb 07 at 16:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers people

so if the car is bought with the plate, the plate can be put on retention by the new owner and then the paperwork for the plate is given back to the seller

the dvla issue the car with a new plate, and costs 105

take it the seller will own the plate then, as he has the documents for it ?

and thats the end to the costs ?
Half Pint

7th Feb 07 at 16:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

don't sell j18....
jr

7th Feb 07 at 16:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im not
deano87

7th Feb 07 at 17:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jr
cheers people

so if the car is bought with the plate, the plate can be put on retention by the new owner and then the paperwork for the plate is given back to the seller

the dvla issue the car with a new plate, and costs 105

take it the seller will own the plate then, as he has the documents for it ?

and thats the end to the costs ?

As far as I know it's £80 for the new registration to go on the car that had the private plate.
Then £25 for the private one to be put on retention. When the private is put on retention, remember to put it in the name of the rightful owner.
M2RTY

7th Feb 07 at 19:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right i did this

i sold my corsa quickly and it still had my plate on it

if i sent log book off it would have taken 6 weeks, i did not want to sell the car and have the new lad drive it for 6 weeks in my name

so i sold the car with the plate, had him sign a contract saying the plate was legally still mine

he got log book back 2 weeks later in his name, sent it back with a cheque i wrote out at the time of the sale, he added me as the assignee. when paperwork came back to him he sent it up to me. i put it on my car then

took 8 weeks, will do it before sale next time!!!
andys sxi
Premium Member

7th Feb 07 at 19:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by M2RTY
right i did this

i sold my corsa quickly and it still had my plate on it

if i sent log book off it would have taken 6 weeks, i did not want to sell the car and have the new lad drive it for 6 weeks in my name

so i sold the car with the plate, had him sign a contract saying the plate was legally still mine

he got log book back 2 weeks later in his name, sent it back with a cheque i wrote out at the time of the sale, he added me as the assignee. when paperwork came back to him he sent it up to me. i put it on my car then

took 8 weeks, will do it before sale next time!!!

was this recent as i need to take mine off b4 i sell mine

April 08 feature car
timrud_

7th Feb 07 at 19:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do it before the sale. As like mentioned above its legally the person who owns the cars.

So they could just tell you to fuck off, and would be WELL within there rights

The contract idea is the only soloution.
Lupogti

7th Feb 07 at 22:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have just sold my car with the private plate, i just knocked £105 off the price of the car, and had the plate put on retention at the same time as having the owner changed over on the log book, just send a cover note explaing what you want to happen to the DVLA, there not all monkeys
ed

8th Feb 07 at 01:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you want to keep the plate and you are selling a car then please do the buyer a favour and take the plate off before you advertise the car. There is nothing more annoying than waiting for the seller to piss about with all the fucking paperwork to get a new plate and tax disk.
Cyril

8th Feb 07 at 10:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my mate is buying an rs turbo which has a p/plate and has been waiting for the dvla to change it over for nearly a month
BYRON

8th Feb 07 at 10:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bought N300ST under the agreement it was the previous owners plate. Was completed within 3 weeks from the sale.

There was confusion as to when the car no longer legally should have worn the plate as the owner of the plate put it on their new car, aswell as mine had it on too.
jr

8th Feb 07 at 10:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right, as i said, its for a mate whos buying a car with it on, and who doesnt want to delay purchasing the car

the owner wants rid, but only condition is he gets to keep the plate

so if the car is bought with the private reg on it, you then go the the DVLA, get it taken off and put in retention ? in the original owners name, and you get issued a new plate

correct, and this can take up to 6 weeks ?
Brett
Premium Member

8th Feb 07 at 10:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Makes me not want to bother getting a private plate after all. Ass-ache to say the least
timrud_

8th Feb 07 at 10:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd buy the car then do the dirty and sell the plate, but thats just me LOL

Serves them right for been impatent

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Buying a car with a private plate 24 database queries in 0.0145450 seconds