corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Locking wheel nut help!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Locking wheel nut help!
Hoddo

User status: Offline
6th Mar 07 at 17:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Righto, so I've managed to get my hands on some new alloy wheels... this is where it all started.

I decided the wheels needed balancing so down to kwikfit (ripfit) I go, they balance them and stick the wheels back on. as usual they use the air drill to put the bolts back on. whoever did it has put the bolts on stupidly tight.

I decided that even though its balanced It lacked spigot rings and stil had movement in it. so I bought a pair today.

Got home about an hour ago and thought about putting em on, so I dragged the jack out and started to remove em. Two wheels later and Im in the process of removing the wheel nuts. except this locking nut is stupidly tight.

I was getting worried as the sheer tightness had started to chew up the adapter for the locking nuts.

I manage to get it on the locking nut go to turn it and 'BAM' the locking nut has cracked and a bit has came off. the adapter got chewed even more and now wont fit on properly.

2 wheels to put spigots on and I cant get em off.

what should I do?

I've got a receipt for the work kwikfit have done, should I go down and complain?

how do I get em off now if kwikfit fob me off?
12vMatt

6th Mar 07 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

to get the locking nuts off hammer a socket (slightly smaller than the nut) onto the nut then remove the nut as if it was a normal one. and definitely complain to kwikfit
Hoddo

6th Mar 07 at 17:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

will it damage the socket as they aint mine, id be lending off my dad!
Hoddo

6th Mar 07 at 18:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I hammered the locking nut adapter on and undid with a break bar, took em all off to save hassle!
betrayed

6th Mar 07 at 19:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if the locking wheel nuts are the ones from halfords they can order you a new key...

if not only way round it is hammering a socket over the top if you get the locking wheel nut stuck in the socket put it in a vice and bray the locking nut out the socket if the sockets your using are good ones it shouldnt break!!
Hoddo

6th Mar 07 at 23:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well I solved it kinda. I lined up the adapter for the locking nuts and hammered em into place and used a breaker bar to get em loose.

I've removed em all due to the adapter being chewed. Least I can get my wheels off now, but so can everyone else

[Edited on 06-03-2007 by Hoddo]
andyc1234

6th Mar 07 at 23:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what wheels do you have
Hoddo

7th Mar 07 at 02:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just some fox alloys:

New Poll