corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Quick question about transfering plates

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Quick question about transfering plates
Dean_H

User status: Offline
19th Apr 07 at 17:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im looking at buying a car off someone and he has said that he wants to wait untill someone puts a deposit down on the car then will transfer the plate because he will lose money if he doesnt sell the car cause he will have to put it back on. But he isnt going to be putting the plate onto a different car anyway???? He says it will take 1 week roughly to transfer but he lives 120 miles away from me which means i will have to do 4 trips which i cant be bothered and i need the car ASAP due to work etc.

My question is could i buy the car with the plate ASAP and then transfer the plate the same time back to him as sending off the car details etc. Or cant you do the 2 at the same time? Bit confused about all this private plate stuff as i dont have one.

Whats the best way to go about this?

Do i send him a deposit with out seeing the car and pick it up 1-2 weeks later which puts me with out a car for that time ?

Cheers guys

Dean

[Edited on 19-04-2007 by Dean_H]
deano87

19th Apr 07 at 17:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd say ring the people that really know, the DVLA and they'll be able to tell you.
John

19th Apr 07 at 17:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When I got a plate swapped about a fortnight ago they done everything there and then.
John G

19th Apr 07 at 17:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u can buy the car with his plate on he just pays the plate retention fee and got to your local dvla station and they will do it all for you,
Dean_H

19th Apr 07 at 17:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
When I got a plate swapped about a fortnight ago they done everything there and then.

John how did you go about that then? did you phone them up to do it? i thought you had to send it off in the post so it would take 1-2 weeks which is what the guy is saying aswell.

Thanks for your reply!
John

19th Apr 07 at 17:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

At the local dvla office.

It changes all the time though.

Time before that it took a week.

Worth phoning tbh.
Dean_H

19th Apr 07 at 17:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
At the local dvla office.

It changes all the time though.

Time before that it took a week.

Worth phoning tbh.

Yea ive been trying to phone them i just cant get through to them
Dean_H

19th Apr 07 at 18:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

got through to them in the end, they say it will take 4-6 weeks to transfer!

What do you recommend guys? buy the car with the plate, then transfer the plate to rentation back to him?
Jill
Premium Member

20th Apr 07 at 09:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dean_H
got through to them in the end, they say it will take 4-6 weeks to transfer!

It's 4-6 weeks if you post the V778/1 form off with all your documents and cheque etc to your local office. Apparently it's quicker if you go down in person to the local office. Oh and the DVLA have a backlog of work at the moment too according to the guy I spoke to last week.

To be honest from what you've said it sounds to me as though this guy is not entirely sure whether he really wants to sell the car definitely. If he did he would have no qualms about taking the numberplate off and putting it on retention. And surely if he does this could the person who buys the car not pay the retention fee as part of the deposit, and obviously lose that money if the sale falls through...? Simple really.

JILL

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Quick question about transfering plates 23 database queries in 0.3664310 seconds