corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » CPU temperature keeps hitting 75 celcius

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author CPU temperature keeps hitting 75 celcius
deano87

User status: Offline
10th Jul 07 at 15:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And when it does hit 75 celcius, the alarm on the motherboard keeps going off

I have opened up my case, and have a huge desk fan blowing into the tower, yet it still keeps going off when I am doing stuff and running a few processes at the same time.

I wondered if you guys had the best advice for me. Is it a case of giving the case a good clean out with compressed air? Or is the processor now just too old to handle doing anything worth while on the PC? Would it be worth rebooting and starting a fresh, or is it the CPU that is just nackered?!

The PC has been turned on every day of its life apart from going on holiday etc, and I haven't exactly only used it for the internet. I have made videos, played games such as MOH:AA on it so it could well be worn out.

The PC is 2 years 8 months old and was a really really good spec when I bought it. I'm sure I'll be able to get another CPU, but at this moment in time I can't afford it!

Best advice would be welcome.

[Edited on 10-07-2007 by deano87]
ed

10th Jul 07 at 15:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Clean all the dust and shite out of your coolers.
deano87

10th Jul 07 at 15:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How would you recommend doing that, compressed air? If so, where can you get it from?
Jamescorsa97

10th Jul 07 at 17:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

your cpu is goign to throttle at that temperature and you run the risk of really damaging it.
deano87

10th Jul 07 at 17:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I guess that, but thanks anyway
Jamescorsa97

10th Jul 07 at 17:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What cpu cooler ytou got?

How many case fans? Which way they blowing?(i.e front fans = intake rear fans = blow air out)

pdwhelan

10th Jul 07 at 17:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just get a bigger heat sink and a better fan! change any case fans and make sure they flow properly thru the case! having them blow in different directions causes turbulence and totaly fucks any cooling up! a desk fan realy wont help either but it was worth a try, if your using a desk fan then just provide the outsie of the case with cooler air for the other fans to suck it in and blow out etc.
Ren

10th Jul 07 at 18:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Try and get a flow going from one side of the computer to the other. I have a HUGE fan at the front blowing air in, two fans at the back exhausting them out - and an extra fan at the side chucking cool air at the processor that gets swept away with the flow from the front.

Noisy, but runs extra cool.
drax

10th Jul 07 at 18:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Take the computer outside, take the side / case off of it, and get a hoover out, hoover the crap out of there, then if you have compressed air fire that in the heatsinks and fan areas, if not, its dangerous but you can blow very hard at it
deano87

10th Jul 07 at 18:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers guys.

I have 2 fans on the front sucking in, 2 on the rear blowing out, 1 on the side blowing out, then 2 on the power pack (1 blowing out the rear, one blowing out the top) so it is pretty well vented There is obviously one on the CPU itself.

I think it is just because it's full of dust, but finding compressed air will be tricky. I popped in Homebase and they didn't seem to have any. I've never liked the idea of putting a hoover on it, because it may suck up something.

Anyone have any idea where to get compressed air?

The fan on the CPU is the standard AMD one which come with the processor iirc.
ed

10th Jul 07 at 18:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You shouldn't use a household vacuum cleaner on a computer as they generate a hell of a lot of static.
ssj_kakarot

10th Jul 07 at 18:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

staples sell compressed air, well they used to when i worked there, i assume they still do.

failing that try a small local computer shop.

ow and pc world might be worth a try.
Neo

10th Jul 07 at 19:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As a temporary measure try angling the house fan along the side of the computer. a regular fan blows air AWAY from the computer, not towards it.
Ren

10th Jul 07 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

BTW, you haven't overclocked your processor have you?
ed

10th Jul 07 at 21:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just one thing though. I take it that it's only just started gettin hot. So try cleaning it before you fit new fans and do stuff like that.
deano87

11th Jul 07 at 10:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ren
BTW, you haven't overclocked your processor have you?

No, it isn't overclocked.

Ed - I went in a local computer shop and he recommended getting rid of all the dust and applying new thermal paste, because now it has got hot, the existing thermal paste may be going hard etc.
ed

11th Jul 07 at 10:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds about right. I had an over heating problem with my PC and I just took all the coolers out and cleaned them, re-fitted them and the job was done.
pow
Premium Member

11th Jul 07 at 14:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bike pump

and thermal paste - ur local computer bloke knows his stuff!

Happened to our family pc
Kyle T
Premium Member

11th Jul 07 at 14:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When I used to overclock, I found having the side of the case off caused slightly higher temperatures, you need to sort out a one-way stream of air through the machine.

In from the lower-front, and out through the upperback. If you have more than one hard disk, seperate them best you can in the rack, if they're clumped up they will warm the air getting sucked into the case.

Make sure its all dust-free like people have said, ebuyer had some compressed air last time I looked, but do it outside, it will get very messy.

Also tidy up your cabling as much as possible to improve air-flow.

Last thing is that no matter how many fans you have, if the ambiet temperature is high you will stuggle to get low temps inside the case. (open a window)

Are the temps when the PC is idling or under load?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
deano87

12th Jul 07 at 14:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The temps are when the computer is under load.

I have taken the fan off the heatsunk and sucked the dust out with a hoover (I kept the hoover on the landing and extended the hose out as far as it would go to prevent static) and it is running a lot better.

Thermal paste arrived today and I plan on tidying the cabling up etc

Thanks for all your advice guys.
corsa-sxi

12th Jul 07 at 15:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mine was restarting whenever i used applications liek games etc, it mentioned something about power monitor and the CPU temp was 78!. i know nothing about computers, so took it to my mates, he cleaned all the dust out from inside the case, applied new thermal compound and a fan which bearings didnt go temps back down to 52...amazing

this is because there is no airflow nr the case as its place on a work station against the wall :/

[Edited on 12-07-2007 by corsa-sxi]

New Poll