corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Playing on a PS3 for the first time now...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Playing on a PS3 for the first time now...
PaulW

User status: Offline
   4th Aug 07 at 14:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not overly impressed, but its still a pretty impressive piece of kit! The thing I like over the 360 is the fact the PSU is integrated, and by god is it quiet!

Other than that, the pads feel cheap and nasty (actual sony six-asxis jobs), the menu system is VERY basic, for the PSP it's ideal, but a console of this caliber, it just feels like it was rushed at last minute.

Graphics wise, I can't see any major improvement over the 360, but its still early days yet. The fire effects in Genji are still flat-textured pre rendered jobbies, as they repeat. Still does look pretty impressive!

Not tried online capabilities as yet, but it looks like it may fail to grab me on that respect too...

The F1 game also - why does it not do split-screen 2 player?? Needing 2 PS3's to do multiplayer just sucks...

One thing I do favor with the pads, is the way they don't need batteries and just charge by the 1 supplied USB cable. Shame they don't supply a USB cable with other pads when you buy them though.

All in:

I do like it being quieter than the 360.
I don't like it for the flimsy feeling pads. Do they even rumble??
I don't like the method of how it annoys for saving games like the PSP
I don't like the menu system - just wrong for the console IMHO
I do like the way it looks, only a little bit bigger than the 360, and considering the PSU is incorporated, DAMN!
I do like the slot-loading, QUIET Blu-ray drive. Much better, but will it scratch my discs?
I do like the touch-sensitive buttons. Nice touch

All in, I reckon its an OK contender to the 360, but lack of real support from game dev's due to poor initial public response means there may be some waiting for it to catch up.

Next job, get Gentoo Linux installed & working, and get MAME compiled and running with my 1000+ MAME roms

[Edited on 04-08-2007 by PaulW]
Rus

4th Aug 07 at 14:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Next job, never play genji again... its possibily the worst game on the system
John

4th Aug 07 at 14:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Paul, you do games technology at uni and follow the console scene from what i've read.

How can you not know whether they rumble or not

There is also no lack of support from games devs.
AndyKent

4th Aug 07 at 14:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No, according to my mate, they don't rumble.......bit of a major omission IMO.
John

4th Aug 07 at 14:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Immersion won in court to stop the rumble facility.

They have now settled their differences though and there are rumble contolers coming out.

It's been known since well before the ps3 was released that they wouldn't rumble though.
Rus

4th Aug 07 at 15:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

"We can confirm that prototypes of the new rumble-enabled controllers have made their way to various Sony developers,"

http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=127128
Nath

4th Aug 07 at 15:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The controllers are far too light for my liking, they don't feel right.
Dav

5th Aug 07 at 14:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I prefer the PS3 menu to the Xbox360 one. Waiting for rumble-axis controlers before I buy another one tho.
What does Linux do when installed? I'd never heard of it before but seen a few people talk about it now.

New Poll