corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Car Servicing help - Am I being robbed?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Car Servicing help - Am I being robbed?
liamC

User status: Offline
13th Nov 07 at 15:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok, for a start, I don't own a Vaux, but haven't got the time to find a big Peugeot site, register etc so was wondering if they knowledgable peeps on here can help. I'm also in the UAE, not the UK, so things may differ slightly out here, but here goes...

Basically I have a 206 which I put in for servicing yesterday to the official pug dealer. There are 55,000 miles on the clock, and my servicing statement states that its Model Year is 2006.

The guy has rang me back today and told me all of the repairs etc needed, it is going to be the UK equivalent of around 600 quid, 800quid including labour.

The servicing sheet states that there is 7 parts to the labour of the repairs needed:

1) Replace convertor seal, rear end seal, refill gear oil (He said something about it leaking or something on the phone earlier)
2) Replace front brake pads and brake discs
3) Replace crank pulley, drive belt tentioner and idler
4) Replace engine top mount and engine lower mount
5) Replace front LHS(?) lower arm ball joint
6) Replace front and rear wiper blades
7) Replace battery

--

Ok - Point number 3. When I put the car in for servicing yesterday the guy said the timing belt had been changed on its last service - is that what number 3 says needs fixing?

Also, this servicing sheet states that the car is a 2006 model - should engine mounts and such like not be covered by warranty?

Im clueless when it comes to stuff like this, but that seems f*cking expensive to me. Is there a rabbit off here?
Dan Lewis

13th Nov 07 at 15:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

warrenty would cover mounts and the ball joint.

Find out what they do on the service and everything else should be done on warrenty.
Kurt

13th Nov 07 at 15:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

number 3 isnt a belt, is the pulley, tensioner and idler bearing

i would expect services to be different in the uae aswell due to the climate
liamC

13th Nov 07 at 15:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The only difference that I know of is that its every 10,000km (6,200miles) as opposed to the UK which is every 10,000 miles? (I think)

If the car has been serviced by a non-peugeot garage before I bought it does that void the warranty? Maybe thats why they have put it down?

He said there had been 2 previous owners according to the computer. One was maybe a rent a car firm like Hertz or something, and the other was a guy, who I bought it off. He definetly had it done at Peugeot as it had the Servicing thing in the car from July this year.

Im just not sure if they're taking the piss or what.
Toby
Premium Member

13th Nov 07 at 15:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not only would i be questioning all if its covered under warrenty i would be asking why a 1 or 2 year old car is so broken
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

13th Nov 07 at 16:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1) Replace convertor seal, rear end seal, refill gear oil (seals are £10 each)
2) Replace front brake pads and brake discs (£120.00 for parts)
3) Replace crank pulley, drive belt tentioner and idler ( £110 for parts)
4) Replace engine top mount and engine lower mount ( £40 for both)
5) Replace front LHS(?) lower arm ball joint ( £20)
6) Replace front and rear wiper blades ( £20)
7) Replace battery (was it faulty when it went in? probably not)

so £320 for parts at dealer prices and that makes £480 labour. autodata allows 4.7 hours to fix the above list so that is about £ 102 an hour labour
ShEp

13th Nov 07 at 16:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a warmer climate only changes the due date of filter changes,

the idler/drive belt pulleys should be changed along with the belt, as an old belt shouldnt be re-tensioned so they should of been changed on the last service if the belt was,

i cant see the belt being changed in the cars 1st year though, and it still shouldnt need changed now,

dics and pads are self explanitory, if it needs them it need them, although at 1year old i suspect they dont need done yet

gear seals, they may of perished due to heat in your country but then again i'd suspect that would be nder warranty,

engine mounts i think they're having a laugh mate, the mounts wont need changed yet, and if they do they'll defo be covered by warranty, could be the same as the seals though, maybe the rubber has perished but i find i highly unlikely

lower arm ball join, at that age of the car i cant see it needing repaced, but if the heat is perishing other rubber parts then maybe this aswell??

battery and wiper blades, fair enough, battery should have a 3year guarantee and if its faulty will be covered by warranty, as for the wiper blades, they'll be wron and should be renewed

on the whole i feel that this garage is robbing you and taking the piss, i find it very very hard to comprehend the car needing those parts when it is only 1year old,

i'd question everything and ask for proof, or remove the car from they're premises and take it elsewhere
ShEp

13th Nov 07 at 16:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dave A
1) Replace convertor seal, rear end seal, refill gear oil (seals are £10 each)
2) Replace front brake pads and brake discs (£120.00 for parts)
3) Replace crank pulley, drive belt tentioner and idler ( £110 for parts)
4) Replace engine top mount and engine lower mount ( £40 for both)
5) Replace front LHS(?) lower arm ball joint ( £20)
6) Replace front and rear wiper blades ( £20)
7) Replace battery (was it faulty when it went in? probably not)

so £320 for parts at dealer prices and that makes £480 labour. autodata allows 4.7 hours to fix the above list so that is about £ 102 an hour labour

thats uk prices though, will they're prices not be different?
Andrew

13th Nov 07 at 17:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£800 at a 55,000 miles service.
liamC

13th Nov 07 at 18:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for all the help lads. The work hasnt been done yet, and first thing tomorrow morning Im ringing up to query everything.

Here are the prices from the servicing sheet: (Rough UK pricing conversions to the UAE prices listed )

Labour costs:

1) Replace convertor seal, rear end seal, refill gear oil - GBP 130
2) Replace front brake pads and brake discs - GBP 35
3) Replace crank pulley, drive belt tentioner and idler - GBP 15
4) Replace engine top mount and engine lower mount - GBP 35
5) Replace front LHS(?) lower arm ball joint - GBP 25
6) Replace front and rear wiper blades - GBP 5
7) Replace battery - GBP 5

Parts Costs

1. 4 Brake Pads/F - GBP 25
2. Pro Battery - GBP 30
3. Crankshaft Seal - GBP 12
4. Tension Roller - GBP 75
5. Wind Wiper Blade x 2 - GBP 12
6. RR Wiper Blade - GBP 5
7. Converter Seal - GBP 8
8. Gear Oil (A/T) - GBP 12
9. Pully Crankshaft - GBP 60
10. Roller - GBP 25
11. Wishbone Front LH - GBP 130
12. Disc Kit Pro - GBP 50
13. Mounting Bracket - 12
14. Mounting Bracket - 36

(13 & 14 - Listed as being exactly the same, but one 3 times as dear )

Servicing cost itself: GBP 30

Again, not clued up on this whole servicing/mot malarkey - is this the same thing? Will I be able to go to any corner shop garage and see if they identify the same things?

[Edited on 13-11-2007 by liamC]

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Car Servicing help - Am I being robbed? 23 database queries in 0.0118849 seconds