corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Platini + Gianluigi finally get told to STFU

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Platini + Gianluigi finally get told to STFU
Cosmo

User status: Offline
27th Nov 07 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

After yet another rant at England and English Football....

Michele Platini suggested England to hire an English coach, and he wouldn't have allowed as many foreigners play in a domestic league, blah blah blah...
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id...184&cc=4716

UEFA president Michel Platini has warned England must appoint a homegrown coach as Steve McClaren's successor - or risk losing its football identity.

Platini implies the cosmopolitan nature of the Premier League is having a detrimental effect on his sport in this country.

'England is such a strong country that they have to take an Englishman,' he said, offering the Football Association some free advice.

'If I am looking for the manager of England, I would try to find a good English guy who everybody trusts to make a good team.'

The Frenchman recalls a time when English club sides were full of native players - but points out that is no longer the case.

'You have good players, although when I played against Arsenal or Aston Villa or West Ham when I was with Juventus you had 10 or 11 English players,' he added.

'If you are Manchester United, you need to have some players from Manchester. Children identify with that.

'I like your football, I like the games, I like the fans and the passion - but I don't like the fact that it is too open [in allowing in foreign players].

'When you lose with the national team, that is the soul of your football. It is my philosophy to protect the identity of the clubs and the country.'

Club football thrives when players hail from the town they are representing, Platini believes.

'Football was based on what?' he asks.

'Manchester United against Liverpool, with the players (from) Manchester and Liverpool, from that region. (Robbie) Fowler was from Liverpool; he grew up in that city - it was fantastic.

'But now you don't have the English players.

'In Arsenal now you don't have an English coach, English players, maybe not an English president soon.

'So why are they playing in England? Because of the fans, because of big business, because of the TV, because the clubs like that.

'I like [Arsenal manager] (Arsene) Wenger, I like (Sir Alex) Ferguson; I like their players, and they do what is best for the clubs. But it is not my philosophy.'

A spokesman for the EPL has hit back though....

'Mind your own business, Platini' - Premier League

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id...201&cc=4716

The Frenchman complained there were not enough English players - or coaches - playing their trade in England, saying: 'I don't like the fact that it is too open [in allowing in foreign players].'

Platini's criticism is just the latest of the domestic game in the wake of England's failure to qualify for Euro 2008.

However, Premier League spokesman Dan Johnson said there was little wrong with the structure at elite level and told the three-time European Footballer of the Year to keep out of their affairs.

'He should really mind his own business. UEFA should look after the Champions League, UEFA Cup and the European Championships,' said Johnson.

'We run the Premier League and we run it successfully, which is beneficial to the English game and that is our business and not Platini's business.'

Johnson argued the Premier League's ability to attract some of the world's best talent had actually helped home-grown players improve.

'I think the foreign influence on the Premier League has pushed it to the very highest level,' he told Radio 5 Live.

'We attract the best in the world and when English players are coming up against the best week in, week out we think it is good for them.

'Do you want more average [English] players or more quality players? We want players who are able to compete with the best in the world.

'If you look at the current crop of players we have a world-class group and the investment that is going in right across Premier League clubs in academy players is high in terms of finance and intellectual commitment.

'I think there are various factors as to why we didn't get through (Euro 2008 qualification) this time but the quality of the the players was not one of those factors.'

[Edited on 27-11-2007 by Cosmo]

[Edited on 27-11-2007 by Cosmo]
Hammer

27th Nov 07 at 11:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo

'I like [Arsenal manager] (Arsene) Wenger, I like (Sir Alex) Ferguson; I like their players, and they do what is best for the clubs. But it is not my philosophy.'

They're succesful managers he is not, so who's philosophy win's?
Cosmo

27th Nov 07 at 11:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He is a crazed power mad Frenchman, so even the tramp who lives at the end of my road deserves to have an opinion on English football more than him.
Hammer

27th Nov 07 at 11:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My point to him would be how many players from your domestic league are part of your national team? Just now probably far more than when they were World and European champions and the quality has dropped significantly, they've just been beaten twice by Scotland for example.

The french league could be doing with some investment and maybe one of their teams would win the Champions League, the best team to come from there in years gone by was Lyon and they have been full of different nationalities.
Tom

27th Nov 07 at 12:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

he's a typical frenchman, thinking his opinion matters when it does not

I agree with what PL spokesman said, it's not as if we don't have acadmeies and give young local talent opportunities. I would rather keep up the standard of the premiership and therefore the standard of ouyr top players.

The issue of our problems is more about respect for the manager imo.
gianluigi

27th Nov 07 at 14:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont think anything Platini said was unreasonable.
Tom

27th Nov 07 at 14:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by gianluigi

It wasn't 'unreasonable' it's his opinion but he likes sharing it alot and obviously thinks people should listen
Cosmo

27th Nov 07 at 14:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

STFU
Robbo

27th Nov 07 at 14:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Platini is a cunt... simple as
gianluigi

27th Nov 07 at 15:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Platini was only the worlds best footballer at one time, but its your perogative should you dismiss anything he says

Enjoy your summer
Cosmo

27th Nov 07 at 15:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Platini was only the worlds best footballer at one time, but its your perogative should you dismiss anything he says

Ahhh right, so because he was a good player we should take what he says as gospel.

Lets hope he soon figures out all Italians are cheating, corrupt, hooligan badgers and kicks the clubs out of European competitions for a few years.
gianluigi

27th Nov 07 at 16:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lets hope so
Hammer

27th Nov 07 at 16:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Enjoy your summer

You wind up merchant

Best footballers almost exclusively never make the best coaches/managers and also thinkers by the looks of things. 1 of the greatest players of his time, 1 of the biggest clown's of this time.
Danny P

27th Nov 07 at 19:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree with certain points
Marc

27th Nov 07 at 19:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
Platini implies the cosmopolitan nature of the Premier League is having a detrimental effect on his sport in this country.

Robbo

27th Nov 07 at 19:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes he was an amazing player, one fo the ebst fo all time, but hes a lousy power mad UEFA head with generally idiotic comments and unrelaistic propositions

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Platini + Gianluigi finally get told to STFU 24 database queries in 0.0116441 seconds