corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Diesel engine comparison...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Diesel engine comparison...
Mase
Premium Member

User status: Offline
26th Dec 07 at 21:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm looking at maybe getting a diesel for my next car and was after peoples opinions on what to look for. The budget will be around £3k and I have so far looked at:

Astra 2.0 DTI / 1.7 CDTI
Focus 1.8 TDCI
206 / 306 HDI
A3 / Golf / Bora / Leon TDI

Now I can get a younger, lower mileage 206, astra and focus than the equivalent priced VAG diesel, but I'll only be keeping it for 6 months or so (during summer break from uni) so the mileage might not be that much of an issue, so long as its reliable.

Which engine in your opinion is better, more reliable and benefits the most from a remap/tuning box?

Cheers

Mase
pow
Premium Member

26th Dec 07 at 21:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

VAG, hands down.
Fad

26th Dec 07 at 21:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tbh I'd prolly go for the Focus TDCi out of all them, drove one recently and got to say it impressed me.

Everyone plunges for VAG diesels thinking they are getting something special.
John G

26th Dec 07 at 21:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i love my 1.7 tdi astra! 600miles to a tank! sits at 80mph all day long happy as larry!

if you just wanted a car for 6 months to tootle around town in your probably better off with petrol, you wont see the benefits from a diesel doin small journeys
Mase
Premium Member

26th Dec 07 at 21:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my only concern there was the fact I can only get an older higher mileage VAG with my budget, so I was concerned about reliability.

Mase
Steve X16XE

26th Dec 07 at 21:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Either of those will be fine. I can't see you getting any problems if your only running it for a few months over summer.

I think it'll boil down to which car you like best.
Jay

26th Dec 07 at 21:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Id go for the Golf or Bora myself, Although i like the Astra 1.7 CDTi, drove one and loved it, was quite rapid!
Mase
Premium Member

26th Dec 07 at 21:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Fad
tbh I'd prolly go for the Focus TDCi out of all them, drove one recently and got to say it impressed me.

Everyone plunges for VAG diesels thinking they are getting something special.

My dad's TDCI in his mondeo was a great engine, so I imagined the focus version to be pretty good.

I might have to travel to sites for work, so I would benefit there, but I just fancy trying a diesel for a bit really.

Mase
pow
Premium Member

26th Dec 07 at 21:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

After having experiance of many engines, the VAG may lack a few MPG compaired to others, but it is a peach. Ive driven 20k DTI Vectras that feel worse than my 70k Ibiza.
Steve X16XE

26th Dec 07 at 21:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Round town in my Corsa i can leave it in 5th and go down to 20 mph and up past the speed limit (great for town).

Astra 2.0 DTI i have to keep going from 3rd to 4th at 30 mph because the revs are sooo low (not good for town).

But if your on the motorway then the derv will win all day long.
c20let

26th Dec 07 at 21:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive driven golf tdi 150 remapped to 200bhp - great, really quick

1.7cdti astra in mk4 & mk5 - dire IMO

1.9cdti in mk5 astra - 120bhp, love it, obviously not as quick as the golf but they can remap/chip to 170ish bhp

never driven ford or pug diesel though.
davcohen

26th Dec 07 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve X16XE
Round town in my Corsa i can leave it in 5th and go down to 20 mph and up past the speed limit (great for town).

Astra 2.0 DTI i have to keep going from 3rd to 4th at 30 mph because the revs are sooo low (not good for town).

But if your on the motorway then the derv will win all day long.

must say i have the same problem if you actually want to keep to the speed limit the gearing is very bad on the speed limit its inbetween two gears which is very annoying
corsaxe.let

26th Dec 07 at 23:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

golf/a3 2.0 tdi 140 v.nice cars imo and surprisingly quick

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Diesel engine comparison... 24 database queries in 0.0114720 seconds