corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » is my friends sub shagged?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author is my friends sub shagged?
myke

User status: Offline
21st Mar 03 at 02:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

he's running a base level rockford 15" off a (i think) 200w rocky amp.
it's been fine for a year and a half since he got it, but now its started sounding pony. at any volume, it just sounds ruff and horrible, like a dirty grumbling noise rather than clean bass.
we think the coil is screwed up somehow, but it doesn't crunch or grind when you push the cone in. also its not exactly an old one, and hasn't been mistreated.

any ideas whats up with it? is it repairable or destined for the skip?
cheers
ultim8DTM5

21st Mar 03 at 04:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I assume its in an enclosure, is it sealed or ported? If it is sealed then there may be an air leak, which can cause it to sound shite. Try running some sealant like silicone around the joins on the inside of the enclosure then fire it up again see how it sounds.

Pull it out and have a squizz of it, check the cone, magnets, voice coil for any external signs of damage.
Richie

21st Mar 03 at 11:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh was gonna say, take it out the the box and see if the cone has come off, happened with a SPL sub not so long ago. I think your underrunning the rockford.
myke

21st Mar 03 at 13:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it was in a big ported box. sounded fine for 18months or so then went kaput.
we had it out of the box and there appears to be nothing wrong with it visually.

as for under running, i did think of that, cos the amp can clip or something if its not up to the job right? but it was sold as a package from an ice shop, so wouldn't have thought they'd sell a mis-match set-up?

New Poll