corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Advice needed

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Advice needed
andy1868

User status: Offline
18th Apr 08 at 16:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hi all, i'm having trouble with my gearbox. basically from neutral when you go to put it into 1st it will go into 3rd. but if you put it into 2nd and then 1st it will go into the correct gear.

i've had the garage have a quick look at it for me and they've basically said thats its most likely to be the gear linkage playing up, but they weren't 100%. they've then priced up replacing the linkage and given me the price of £180. is this the going rate or not? i genuinely have no idea.

the other thing to take into account is that i'm planning on selling the car in 4-6 weeks, is it going to be worth paying the extra to get it fixed and aim for a higher price or should i just leave it and let it go for less? the problem i face is that nobody in their right mind is going to buy a car that won't go into 1st properly

the car is an R reg 1.6 sport by the way. any further info would be greatly appreciated, or even say what you would do given the situation. cheers

[Edited on 18-04-2008 by andy1868]
csweatherston

18th Apr 08 at 16:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

possibly a worn bush on the linkage.

tried re-setting the linkage up yet??
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

18th Apr 08 at 17:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My linkage broke on my old 1.2 8v when I was trying to sell it Andy.

I bought a replacement from http://www.breakeryard.com/ which cost me £25 delivered, then the local garage fitted it for me for £30.

Do that!
andy1868

18th Apr 08 at 19:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

been speaking to a mate that works at the garage. he said there may be trouble using a second hand one as they may get stretched etc when being taken off the donor car. does that make sense? is it worth risking or just get a new one?

the other problem is that they haven't said its guarantee'd to fix it, what if i shell out £180 only to find its something else? they've said the parts are going to be £135 from vauxhall. any chance of getting new somewhere cheaper?

csweatherston, i have no car knowledge. i don't know what they've done at the garage either i'm afraid. i'm going to assume they haven't reset it up
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

18th Apr 08 at 19:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Andy, your bloody useless

I think a second hand linkage will be fine, but if you want to, ring Autovaux tomorrow morning and see what price they can get one to you for.
andy1868

18th Apr 08 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i know i'm useless, sorry
andy1868

19th Apr 08 at 16:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

flybikeslee was saying something about a short shift linkage can be had for less than vauxhall want for their own parts. another option maybe?

edit: is this also the fucker i want?

http://www.vauxallparts.co.uk/?product_id=1115&option=Prod_detail&image_id=1745

[Edited on 19-04-2008 by andy1868]
andy1868

30th Apr 08 at 07:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just for some closure, if anybody looks back on this with the search facility, the entire linkage was replaced and now works as sweet as a nut costly though

New Poll