corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Shin Splints

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Shin Splints
Danny P

User status: Offline
30th Apr 08 at 17:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Skins have been killing me for a few weeks after playing football, and due to us having a fixture pile up we had to play 5 games in 10 days Shins have been killing me since Sunday, could hardly walk on Monday.

Anyways, just been to the Doc's and been told i've got quite severe shin splints due to soft bone, and playing football so much since I was a kid.

Apparently they aint much you can do apart from rest them, he advised to do some stetches using my feet which should help, but was just wondering if anyone on here had suffered from them before and got any tips?

Only 2 games of the season left now, so going to give them a miss, just want to be right for next season.
Marc

30th Apr 08 at 17:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had this when I first started playing properly last year. Had lots of problems with my ankles too. I ended up getting shin pads with the ankle supports and wore further ankle straps over the top!

As for the shin splints I found as my legs got stronger it went away. I already ran but playing football makes your legs move in a differant way, it just took time.
RyanSxi

30th Apr 08 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im same as Marc, used to get pain untill my legs got used to regular excerice again.

I think for you you will just need to rest tilltheyve gone. Also make you yopu stetch alot (especially that area) before and after games
Marc

30th Apr 08 at 17:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I run my hands up my calfs drawing the blood away. Still carrying an injury from the last game of last season after I blocked a free kick!
Danny P

30th Apr 08 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been playing Sunday League all my life so I know its not just becuase playing football is different to normal running. Quite strange how it has just come on this year as the pitches havn't been particulary hard

Just been looking on google etc and it says heat can help it, deap heat before games it is then
RyanSxi

30th Apr 08 at 18:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Heat before and iceafter I think it is
Danny P

30th Apr 08 at 18:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by RyanSxi
Heat before and iceafter I think it is

Aye thats what i've been reading
RyanSxi

30th Apr 08 at 18:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I read up about em when I first started playing. Was also taking Ibuprofen before every game to stop the pain.
Danny P

30th Apr 08 at 18:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I normally have enough alcohol in mine from Saturdays to help with that
richardworrall
Premium Member

30th Apr 08 at 19:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had it when running a few weeks ago, had ibuprofen an hour before exercise, rubbed deep heat stuff all over lower legs then strapped them up with rolling bandage. Seemed to work a treat.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

1st May 08 at 07:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

took me a season to get over mine. stopped playing sundays 11 a side but continued friday 6 a side
Richie B

1st May 08 at 15:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I went through a phase maybe 6 mths ago where my shins hurt all the time, and I kept onm playing. It got to the point where I was struggling to run when playing 5aside, so had to stop for a few weeks.

I find that wearing boots on hard ground (ie fake grass at 5asidE) isn't good for them.

But I think it's pretty much a case of resting them for a few weeks.

You can also get strap things for about 30 quid, but don't know how effective they are.
AdZ9

1st May 08 at 16:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have you put on weight over the past few months? Could be down to ground as well if its hard etc
Robbo

1st May 08 at 16:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Same as Marc

The boots can affect it as well
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

1st May 08 at 19:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

correct footwear for the type of ground

ie mouldies for astro/ hard mud
studs for soft mud
trainers for indoor

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Shin Splints 24 database queries in 0.0144310 seconds