corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Detailing course?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Detailing course?
Brabus

User status: Offline
12th May 08 at 08:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im looking at a neww business venture and am particually interesting in detailing. My dad owns his own bodyshop and has quit his job to do it full time, he has a unit and i would be able to use it should i decide not to go down the mobile route.

It seems relitavely inevpensive to setup given the normal starting costs of a new business and i would probally make a slow progression from keeping my full time job and doing it on the side to eventually taking it up full time depeding on how well it goes. Also, there is no one offering this service around my area and so there is a perfect gap in the market at the current time and even though detailing has been around for year i feel its just started getting popular.

My main question is, what sort of courses are avaliable in terms of learning the ins and outs etc? I understand that its not somthing that im going to pick up fully on a 5 day course but its a start.

thanks in advance.

[Edited on 12-05-2008 by Brabus]
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

12th May 08 at 08:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mind if I move this to General Chat? Car relatedish.
Brabus

12th May 08 at 09:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Be my guest
JamesMG

12th May 08 at 09:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not too sure on courses but i would look at possibly becoming a franchise. They will then provide training thoughout the first year and all materials and brand name. Then if you feel its going well in a few years you could start your own
Brett
Premium Member

12th May 08 at 09:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not much of a winter job is it
Brabus

12th May 08 at 09:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not too sure if there are any companies offering a franchise faciitly around my way, not even too sure on how i would go about finding out. I agree its not a winter busines but niether is landscaping/ building etc but they manage
Phil W

12th May 08 at 09:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by loafofbrett

What on earth makes you think that?

Its an ideal time for work, especially for people not wanting a detail, and just need a 'once-over'.

What you have to consider is that people who have their car detailed by you will often be back for top-ups etc.

[Edited on 12-05-2008 by Phil W]
Brett
Premium Member

12th May 08 at 09:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Phil W

What on earth makes me think that, is that I wouldn't pay some joey over the odds to clean my car when it'll get full of shit straight away. Summer maybe, but winter no. Not to mention, if you're mobile you're gonna struggle cleaning the cars if it's pissing down constantly.

What on earth indeed
Ben G

12th May 08 at 09:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a lot of people seem to get their car's detailed in winter months, so that all the salt and shit on the roads don't contaminate their paintwork.
JamesMG

12th May 08 at 09:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Brabus
Not too sure if there are any companies offering a franchise faciitly around my way, not even too sure on how i would go about finding out.

Thats a good thing if theres non around yours, means the company will probably be more interested in helping you to start. Have a look on UK Franchise Dir.
there was a few similiar things on there last time i looked. if not serching around google will probably reveal some more franchising companies
Brabus

12th May 08 at 10:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by loafofbrett
quote:
Originally posted by Phil W

What on earth makes me think that, is that I wouldn't pay some joey over the odds to clean my car when it'll get full of shit straight away. Summer maybe, but winter no. Not to mention, if you're mobile you're gonna struggle cleaning the cars if it's pissing down constantly.

What on earth indeed

Plus the people who will want the more expensive detailing packages will more than likely have a higher class of car that they will want doing whilst its garaged in the winter. There seem to be a lot of these types of people around here, i.e plenty of Lambos, R8's, Range rovers etc. Allthough i understand a lot of this kind of work go's on reputation
Rob R

12th May 08 at 10:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Best way of learning is to get the equipment and buy some scrap panels from a breakers yard to practice on. Then if you fuck it up it dont matter. It's better to try and burn through paint on an old panel to begin with as you can see exactly what each product and pad combo does and how much you can take it.

All paint differs though- Honda paint is soft as shit and can easily be tackles with only an orbital polisher where as VW paint is coated in marble and will require a rotary to get decent results.

Get yourself over on detailing world and have a read up on there. Not as clear cut as some people think. Some of the larger, more executive cars end up turning into 3 day jobs
Brabus

12th May 08 at 11:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the advise guys, i have been reading up on detaling world, which has got me interested in the work. Ive had a look on the franchise website although they just seem to be valeting/dent repair/washing ect and im looking for somthing a little more exclusive. Ive googeld it but cant see anything along the lines of courses/classes, is it just somthing you learn yourself over time.
John

12th May 08 at 11:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd have a go first, I bought a g220 last week, got fed up and decided to sell it after doing half my roof, I couldn't do that for 8 hours + a day like the guys on detailing world say they do.

I've also not got a half balding head and a fetish for waxes like most of them do either

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Detailing course? 23 database queries in 0.0120749 seconds