corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Vauxhall experts needed in this thread (lamba issue/clearing fault codes)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Vauxhall experts needed in this thread (lamba issue/clearing fault codes)
Bullet Proof SRi

User status: Offline
2nd Jun 08 at 17:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Last year i had to replace my lambda sensor coz of all the Tesco fuel problem. A vauxhall one was £120 so i got a universal one you link up yourself.

Around 6-7 weeks ago my yellow light come on and after a diagnostic, the garage said the heater in the sensor had broke (car runs fine by the way). Again i went and got a universal one as the other one had lasted a year and it was only £40. Only problem is i got it 2 days after the fault was cleared and by then the light had come back on.

It was suggested that i disconnet the battery for an hour when i fit the new sensor to reset the ECU. After doing this and fitting the sensor the car was fine and the light was off.

3 weeks later the light was back on, i went back down to the garage and they said it was probably the sensor again as universal ones are crap. I went to vauxhall and they said they werent sure if disconnecting the battery clears the code even though the light goes off, bare in mind the light took 3 weeks to come back on.
They said to try soldering the wires together as the connectors on the universal sensors are not very good, just to be on the safe side.

I unhooked the battery, solderd the wires, hooked it all back up, everythings fine the lights off.

2 weeks later and the light has come back on today.

Please help

Can anyone confirm that disconnecting the battery clears the code or does it just turn off the light for a while. Vauxhall said if it doesent clear the code the old code colud be activating the light. Why did it take so long to come back on though IMO.

Do i go and get a genuine vauxhall one, disconnect the battery, fit it, and see what happens.

Do i get another diagnostic done, however if it comes back saying its the heater on the sensor, im still no better off as i still wouldnt know if it is the old code or the same problem with the new sensor.

[Edited on 02-06-2008 by jr]
James_H

2nd Jun 08 at 17:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what car and engine?
Bullet Proof SRi

2nd Jun 08 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oops, how stupid

Corsa C 1.2 sxi, 02 plate
James_H

2nd Jun 08 at 17:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmm, its prob the air mass meter, i had that on a astra coupe (yes i know diff engine ut same fault) might be worth trying one of them, there no diffrence in power at all?
Bullet Proof SRi

2nd Jun 08 at 18:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the car runs fine all the time.

as said before the original diagnostic said heater on lambda sensor
JoeyB

2nd Jun 08 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well the lambda sensor generally does take a while to trigger the ECU light.

TBH I think you need to find out what codes are being flagged up before buying anything else.

Might be worth getting yourself one of these, save paying Vauxhall £60 a pop for a read out

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vauxhall-Opel-tech2-USB-Diagnostic-OBD2%2FII-Code-Reader_W0QQitemZ220241316875QQcmdZViewItem?IMSfp=TL0806010917a5109
Bullet Proof SRi

2nd Jun 08 at 22:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I havent got vauxhall to do the diagnostic, a local garage does it for £15.

I think i read somewhere that old codes should disapear after a certain amount of times you start the car up.

Do you think its worth leaving it for a while to see if it is a old code and it disapears after starting the car a number of times
JoeyB

3rd Jun 08 at 06:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That would be the switch it on and off again 30 times thing i guess...

I'm almost certain leaving the battery off for an hour or so clears the codes.
scottc1088

3rd Jun 08 at 07:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

universal lambda's are shit tbh. id just get a direct fit one although it doesnt have to be from vauxhall
Bullet Proof SRi

3rd Jun 08 at 08:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes i was gona get a direct ft one, thye are about £70 but the garage said they are just as shit as the universal one, they just have a plug on them. So i didnt see the point tbh.
JoeyB

3rd Jun 08 at 08:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Scrapyard!!!

Get a pocket load lol
Bullet Proof SRi

3rd Jun 08 at 08:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mmm theres an idea actually, would i need to get one off another 1.2 or would a 1.4 be ok or a 1.2 twinport

[Edited on 03-06-2008 by Bullet Proof SRi]
JoeyB

3rd Jun 08 at 08:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Call up Vauxhall and see if the part numbers are the same?
Bullet Proof SRi

3rd Jun 08 at 09:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

apparently they are all different so i need one off a 1.2, not the twinport either
JoeyB

3rd Jun 08 at 09:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well I'm due a scrapyard visit at the weekend, I'll keep an eye out for ya.
Bullet Proof SRi

3rd Jun 08 at 11:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

went back round to the garage and asked about diagnostic again, garage said though that code came up before it could be for something else and not the lambda, but the lambda is the first place to start.

I went and got a vauxhall one just now and ive took the battery off again and fitted the sensor, lights of now, so ill see what happens, at least if the light comes back on i know its something else
modded_corsa

3rd Jun 08 at 19:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

universal lambda probes are crap. fact!

go to somewhere like euro car parts, andrew page, halfords etc
ask for a lambda probe direct fit, either a bosch one, which bosch is a OE quality or a walker one,

New Poll