corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » What could this noise be please?? rear of car.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author What could this noise be please?? rear of car.
Iain M

User status: Offline
20th Jun 08 at 11:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right, had brand new wheel bearings on the rear done fri before PV. No problems since till last night. Drove to Bolton and on the way back about 10 mins away from my house i stopped at some lights. As i stopped there was a horrific noise coming from the back as if the exhaust was dragging on the floor. So pulled up into Asda and had a look - nothing.

Was with Dave so asked him to drive and listen didn't do it. I got back in and went to drive and noise started again. When the wheel turns it sounds like there is a stone grinding in the wheel. Any way drove home and its a loud sueaking noise as well. Went over a bump and it stopped then turned into melissa's st and started again. Only does it going forwards though not backwards.

Any suggestions???
Torsa g

20th Jun 08 at 11:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the wheel bearing has been done up to tight and fell apart, then collapsed by the sounds of it, this happened to me about 5miles from PV,
Iain M

20th Jun 08 at 11:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So i guess i need new bearings on the back again. What did you do anyway. Did you drive home with it or what. I need my car to get to work.
Torsa g

20th Jun 08 at 11:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had some mates going there later in the day so they picked up a bearing and bought some tools, but this will tell you maoer so try not to drive the car

check the bottom of the page

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=430714&page=4

[Edited on 20-06-2008 by Torsa g]
Iain M

20th Jun 08 at 11:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no worries will order some more bearings today then. Why has it failed so early and thing is i can't really tell which side it is so should i do both??
Iain M

20th Jun 08 at 11:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is there a tutorial to changing them??
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

20th Jun 08 at 12:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

check that the wheel spins freely, rear shoes may be binding.
Iain M

20th Jun 08 at 12:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right so if it spins and makes a noise its the bearings, if it spins and there is a noise and resistence its the rear brake shoes and will need them replacing also??

[Edited on 20-06-2008 by Iain M]
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

20th Jun 08 at 14:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

probably worth replacing the shoes and springs (springs come as a kit ftrom halfords for about £10 for both sides) when you do the bearings.

New Poll