corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » Recommend me some settings

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Recommend me some settings
Graham88

User status: Offline
29th Aug 08 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am going to a Skydiving competition next weekend and plan on taking my camera (Canon 400D) to get some snaps.

Was just wondering what people reckon would be good?

There will be some slow shots, and some faster shots. Obviously I'd have to tweak to account for lighting conditions but was wondering roughly what people would suggest.

I usually just put it onto the 'Sports' setting.
Tiger

29th Aug 08 at 19:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tough call that, your gonna be shooting up at a bright sky so you're gonna need to watch your exposure and give yourself a good 2-3 stops of exposure extra else you'll get silhouettes.

Go for shutter priority mode and then adjust your speeds for the type of shot you want, let the aperture look after itself coz your not gonna get depth of field up in the air anyway coz there's no reference to gauge distance.
Tiger

29th Aug 08 at 19:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Here's some I shot in NZ - i'll update them as I upload them.

[Edited on 29-08-2008 by Tiger]

[Edited on 29-08-2008 by Tiger]
Graham88

30th Aug 08 at 03:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's cool mate, what setting did you go onto?

Not sure what you mean by 'shutter priority mode'

Usually I just go and select one of the base settings (portrait, landscape, sports etc) and I've always gotten away with good results, be nice to have stunning results though
Scotty_B

30th Aug 08 at 08:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Graham88
That's cool mate, what setting did you go onto?

Not sure what you mean by 'shutter priority mode'

Usually I just go and select one of the base settings (portrait, landscape, sports etc) and I've always gotten away with good results, be nice to have stunning results though

Shutter mode on Canon = TV mode on the dial. Set this to around 1/250, spot metering and go from there.
Tiger

30th Aug 08 at 08:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont really use the settings options on my camera as I usually know what i'm after before I shoot but in terms of options, you have an Aperture Priority mode which means you select the aperture and the camera selects the shutter speed and you have Shutter Priority where you select the shutter speed and the camera selects the aperture. I personally use the former, Aperture Priority unless i'm shooting using studio lighting where you have to set aperture and shutter speed yourself.

Forget all your sports modes etc. they are just full of limiting factors and give you far less control over the shots you want.

You need to go and learn your camera inside out, learn all the modes in auto and manual.

For example if your shooting up into a bright sky at 1/2000 at f3.5 with an ISO1600 - its likely your shot's gonna be overexposed. what your more likely after for a slow moving parachute shot is somewhere around 1/250 at f8 with an ISO100 - but these are just guides to what you could potentially have.

Shutter priority mode on my camera is in the menu as 'S'
Graham88

30th Aug 08 at 11:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorSRi_BT
Shutter mode on Canon = TV mode on the dial. Set this to around 1/250, spot metering and go from there.

Yeah I know Tiger, it's not easy when there is so much to learn
I have the hang of ISO, light conditions etc, just need to learn a bit more.

It's just I can imagine the pictures looking fine on the little screen but when I get them home they're all shit because I've been on the same setting

I'll give it a bash and post up my results

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » Recommend me some settings 24 database queries in 0.0162730 seconds