corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » web builders

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author web builders
J1

User status: Offline
3rd Sep 08 at 13:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am in the process of starting a web/graphic design business and i need someone who can build and host the site if i were to provide the layouts. I would be looking for something where i had the option of static pages and something with a content management system.

If this is something that you might be interested in send me a u2u or add me to msn jonathanhaines80@hotmail.com
James

3rd Sep 08 at 13:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So you are looking to start a web design business and you want someone to do your website for you?
Doug

3rd Sep 08 at 13:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James
So you are looking to start a web design business and you want someone to do your website for you?

J1

3rd Sep 08 at 13:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the technical aspect of it, build it, the layouts will be done by me, if its not something you can help with why comment?
Doug

3rd Sep 08 at 13:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im just wondering how you intend to start this as a business if you cant do it?

I can do it, I have a degree in it. But an attitude like that wont get you any help

But I will suggest getting dreamweaver. It does ALOT of the technical stuff for you. Esp DB stuff!
James

3rd Sep 08 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeh I suggest you learn a scripting/DB language as you might be able to get away with just static sites if you were doing it in your spare time but if you are looking to start a business in it I think you would struggle.

P.s. I can do it too
J1

3rd Sep 08 at 13:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im looking to offer a graphic and web design service. I dont know the technical build part of web sites, hosting etc but i can produce the layouts and graphics and then pay someone to put those graphics on the web, i dont see whats so strange about that ?
Doug

3rd Sep 08 at 14:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TBH the technical side really isnt all that hard.

NEARLY ALL the code you will ever need has been written and can be found on the internet. It may need some slight tweaking to get it to work but you can make 99% of the websites you will need to do by simply copying and pasting code or using dreamweaver to generate it for you.

Obviously if you dont know what your looking at you may have a hard time troubleshooting. and Dreamweaver does make more code than needed but its still a hell of a good tool to use
Brett
Premium Member

3rd Sep 08 at 14:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I couldn't think of a worse job than slicing someone elses design.

Just design in photoshop. Cut/optimise in ImageReady. Code and other bits in dreamweaver.

Hosting and uploading is a no-brainer.
Paul_J

3rd Sep 08 at 14:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by J1
im looking to offer a graphic and web design service. I dont know the technical build part of web sites, hosting etc but i can produce the layouts and graphics and then pay someone to put those graphics on the web, i dont see whats so strange about that ?

I'm assuming you don't actually know how websites are put together and the effort involved in getting the mechanics of a site working properly.

Generally a fair bit more than just 'place graphics on the layout / web'.
Like do you actually know how to do layouts in CSS / using tables
or are you just going to give someone a picture saying 'here's a layout'.

I've just made a website called http://www.musicmedication.com

It's still work in progress, but the 'layout' is a very small part of the site, the rest is all code that calls to and from a database getting the required data and displaying it correctly.

I've built a content management system from scratch for the site, with a custom admin section - however I overlooked how much effort this would involve

Essentially in total,

I've probably spent 2 hours on 'layout', few hours on graphics / design and 50 hours coding the actual site (inc testing) with the DB back end and content management.

I do suggest you look into making websites before trying to get someone to make them for you, as I think you need to learn the process of turning a 'layout' into a fully functioning website.
Paul_J

3rd Sep 08 at 14:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Note a static site is far simpler than what I'm talking about above.

However, the beauty with a dynamic site / with content management is that it can be handed to a user who has no knowledge of technical bits / no knowledge of html etc, and update the content with ease.

This is the situation with mine, the content management is very similar to making posts on forums, with img tags and easy Add / Edit / Delete sections - meaning the end user can transform the site and the site updates and adjusts when new content is added, but can be updated by a child (or someone with no technical ability at all)
bigD21

4th Sep 08 at 19:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you have the money (or can find a free version on the internet) I suggest looking at lynda.com's PHP with MYSQL essential training. It will teach you the process involved in working with both languages and shows you in great detail how to build an effective CMS from scratch.
WATSON

4th Sep 08 at 22:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm confused

If you need help uploading your site ect send me a u2u, will be more than happy to help i run my own site
Paul_J

4th Sep 08 at 22:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nah watson, I think he thinks that 'uploading the site' is the technical bit of building a site.

I think he wants the site to be built, as he has drawn some pretty pictures (layouts) of what he would like to be made.
WATSON

5th Sep 08 at 00:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

uploading a site is pritty piss easy its like abc.

J1 what your saying you have no luck on making any business if you dont know anything about what your trying to start.
Laney

6th Sep 08 at 12:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The guy just wants a freelancer, leave him be!
Dom

6th Sep 08 at 14:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

plenty of people out there that'll chop up a PSD/site layout into a site! So it's not the end of the world

New Poll