corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » brakes locking up

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author brakes locking up
joshF

User status: Offline
14th Nov 08 at 22:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hello.

Iv got abit of a problem,When i brake harshly or hard my back brakes lock up and the front dont? And if they dont lock up the passenger side rear drum makes a grinding sound? dont suppose any of you have any ideas before i remove them and inspect.

Another thing is when im reversing off my drive when coming off the clutch and turning i feel a rumble in the clutch pedal only when turning though?

car is 1.2 corsa

Thanks josh
mattk

14th Nov 08 at 22:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used to get this, if the car had been standing for a good few hours, probably 6 or more after heavy rain my rears used to lock up and I got the grinding sound, after a mile or 2 it would stop though, I used to just drive for a minuite with the hand break on though,

I can only summise that the rain gets into the drums and puts a layer of rust on the inside which reduces the distance between the pad and the drum so when you press the pedal the shoes touch the rust, this is what happens on my car now when I have rusty discs, the brakes always seem dead sharp
Mike GSi

14th Nov 08 at 22:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

probably the rear brake bias controler, is the car lowered at all?
Gareth F

14th Nov 08 at 22:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive dropped mine 90mm and adjusted the bais all the way but it still locks under heavy braking, any ideas?
mattk

14th Nov 08 at 22:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine was completly standard when it was doing it to me
Mike GSi

14th Nov 08 at 22:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by munk3yrac3r
Ive dropped mine 90mm and adjusted the bais all the way but it still locks under heavy braking, any ideas?

Probably too low lol are you sure you adjusted it the right way lol, just checking
joshF

14th Nov 08 at 22:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah its 60mm all round?
Mike GSi

14th Nov 08 at 22:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could be the reason, the corsa's have a rear brake bias controler, its automattic.

As you put more weight in the rear, more brake bias is forced to the rear by this mechanism, it sits above the axle, so when the suspension is lowered (weight is added) it tightens the mechanism, try losening it off abit, and give it a goos squit of WD40 then some sort of lube
SXI - Matt

14th Nov 08 at 22:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You need to make the bracket or the adjuster longer so it lossens off abit as even when fully adjusted is'nt enough, when it's down 60mm the car adjusts the brakes thinking the back is full as it would sit that low with 3 people in the back, so puts more braking to the back drum's but as the back end is actually still light due to being no one in it it will lock up, can be quite bad in the wet would definalty get it sorted

[Edited on 14-11-2008 by SXI - Matt]

[Edited on 14-11-2008 by SXI - Matt]
joshF

14th Nov 08 at 23:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok il have to sort it then,

thanks alot
joshF

14th Nov 08 at 23:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont suppose any of you have a picture of the bias controller and what to adjust

many thanks
marklawton

14th Nov 08 at 23:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by munk3yrac3r

i had mine lowered 100mm and never touched mine and it was fine. you can take them off though and then just put it back on for the mot if they say anything
Gareth F

14th Nov 08 at 23:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^^^ wont that stop them from working?
av it

15th Nov 08 at 00:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

another solution is if your modding your car then fit bigger brakes to ease off the rears
but if not then yes adjust the bias valve thats attatched to the rear beam (some corsa's dont have them)
sand-eel

15th Nov 08 at 01:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by av it
another solution is if your modding your car then fit bigger brakes to ease off the rears
but if not then yes adjust the bias valve thats attatched to the rear beam (some corsa's dont have them)

That will make it even worse putting bigger brakes on the front. what happens? i'll tell you more weight transfer to the front = the back end gets lighter so will lock up even easier.
The only way is to adjust the valve at the back on the slider, slide the nut as far back as it goes and as said you may need to attach another bracket to make it go further back still.
Gareth F

15th Nov 08 at 01:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

about to have bigger brakes put on but i was getting this sorted first lol
av it

15th Nov 08 at 11:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i put a disc conversion on mine and wilwood bias valve and it still tried to lock slighty UNTIL i oversized the front brakes then it gets more pressure to the front not the rear because of the bigger calipers and its fine now and no trying to skip me out on bends

[Edited on 15-11-2008 by av it]
Mertin

15th Nov 08 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What age and model of corsa? As my 1.2 8v didnt have a brake bias valve, only the sports and post 97 corsas have it iirc
joshF

15th Nov 08 at 12:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its 1995 ls model,

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » brakes locking up 23 database queries in 0.0119050 seconds