corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Quick bit of advice....

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Quick bit of advice....
fudleone

User status: Offline
   28th Dec 08 at 23:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So i had a head on crash today and my front end looks like that indian elephant sat on it from the pug206 adverts.

I have a Corsa B (V reg) and because its been shunted from the front, looks like i am gonna need a new bonnet.

However, when i opened it up, the slam panel (where the VIN plate resides) has been shunted too, is it advisable to bend it back or replace the unit? Is it a bolt on piece or welded to the chassis? also, is it part of the headlight assembly or just like a strut?
If I were to replace it, i am guessing the garage can re-rivet the old vin plate onto the new piece without any other formaliities to certify roadworthiness etc, etc?

Also, is the V grill seperate from the front bumper or is a whole unit assembly?

I am just totalling up the cost of repair at the moment.

Any advice appreciated.
l15ter

28th Dec 08 at 23:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

insurance?
CorsaSport14

28th Dec 08 at 23:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah go through insurance mate. Who's fault was the crash?
fudleone

29th Dec 08 at 00:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well the other person has offered to pay for it. I
told him I'd get a couple of quotes and get back to him.

I thought it's a good opportunity to change the grill at least. Will also get the rest of the car resprayed since it has a couple of minor dents and it's faded like fcuk to be honest.

it was a low speed shunt, their freelander was unharmed, bar a minor crack on their plastic. i just know that my next car should have ABS
evans_corsab

29th Dec 08 at 00:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think the slam pannels weld in but dangsi's selling one i think , also the v grill is separate to the bumper just clips off , riviting your vin back on would be fine also

[Edited on 29-12-2008 by evans_corsab]
podgeworth

29th Dec 08 at 03:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just let the bodyshop decide what to do as they know best
corsa-sxi

29th Dec 08 at 03:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

only 1 cop i seen all week as far as i remember and that was on the side of the M62 checkeing for speeders
Ian
Site Administrator

29th Dec 08 at 03:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm always wary of fixing stuff outside of insurance. What guarantees do you have that this person will pay?
fudleone

31st Dec 08 at 01:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just a quick update, the third party have decided to go through the insurers.

the first written quote says that i need to replace the bumper, the bumper reinforcement, slam panel, both lights, grill and bonnet .

the quotes are coming out quite high so i am hoping they will write off the car and i can buy it back for cheap.

what do you think the payout will be for a 1.0L V reg Trip in Flame Red? it's only done 44,000 miles!
Ian
Site Administrator

31st Dec 08 at 01:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you have service history then expect around book price for private good.
fudleone

15th Jan 09 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The third party insurers have offered me 1k for it. Parkers had it down for £770 private good. Result!

now to decide whether to keep it or to sell it.

if anyone wants a Corsa B (Cat C write off), cost of fixing estimated <400-500 quid, let me know.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Quick bit of advice.... 23 database queries in 0.0099950 seconds