corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Cheap Golf clubs for a beginner

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Cheap Golf clubs for a beginner
jacko198

User status: Offline
15th Jan 09 at 13:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And im sure everyone on here knows tonnes about it . But a pro would be the person to ask

[Edited on 15-01-2009 by jacko198]
strick206

15th Jan 09 at 13:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You sound very bitter jacko, i have no idea why

Maybe he asked on here because alot of people play golf, some to a good standard, and we all started somewhere, so have an idea about beginners clubs?

What's the point spending 250quid on a set of Callaway irons and woods (second hand) if you decide the game isn't for you and have wasted your money

And even more so that a beginner is going to get no more benefits from a top of the range set of clubs ebcause they are less forgiving
jacko198

15th Jan 09 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok, fair enough. This is how my dad eventually gave up on his job. He is a golf pro, and he has been a club pro for the past 25 years. But left his job as a club pro last year due to the fact that he wasnt making as much money as he used to. 10 years ago, if you wanted a club, or a set of clubs you would go to youre local pro shop, and they could order ANY club that you wanted (and still can!)

But, not any more, these discount golf places are taking the £ away from the club pro's and just giving it straight to these huge company's. So much so that he eventualy decided that he cant make much of a living out of it, so he has left!

He had people coming in, testing out a club, then going and buying it on the internet. hardly right is it.

My uncle is in the same situation, he is also a golf pro (dont ask )

Whittie

15th Jan 09 at 13:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jacko198
Ok, fair enough. This is how my dad eventually gave up on his job. He is a golf pro, and he has been a club pro for the past 25 years. But left his job as a club pro last year due to the fact that he wasnt making as much money as he used to. 10 years ago, if you wanted a club, or a set of clubs you would go to youre local pro shop, and they could order ANY club that you wanted (and still can!)

But, not any more, these discount golf places are taking the £ away from the club pro's and just giving it straight to these huge company's. So much so that he eventualy decided that he cant make much of a living out of it, so he has left!

He had people coming in, testing out a club, then going and buying it on the internet. hardly right is it.

My uncle is in the same situation, he is also a golf pro (dont ask )

Pro being what? Head? Assistant? Or a player?

Agree with the internet comments, but he's only wanting to know what set to get. Whether it be on the internet or a pro shop.
C2RL R

15th Jan 09 at 13:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well now we know where the bitterness has come from.
Strick is correct.....i've seen golf threads on here before and there seemed to be a fair few people interested. if someone made a thread about the less popular sports like darts, pool, snooker, badminton, fishing etc then i would be in there like a shot giving advice and what not. thats what people do on forums.

and no offence to your dad but, welcome to the 21st century. one way for him to go would be getting his own shop going but also do web sales. that way people will still buy from him. he's probably already thought of this.
Whittie

15th Jan 09 at 13:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If your dad had anything about him mate, he would of opened a shop online, assuming he was the head pro. With all the current stock.

Simple way around it, rather than just giving up.
jacko198

15th Jan 09 at 13:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah he was the head pro. It wasnt worth setting an online shop really, to be able to sell things for 20% cheeper, he would have had to buy in tonnes of stock which just wasnt viable.

He didnt give up as such, he is now a head referee and tournament director for the european tour.
Whittie

15th Jan 09 at 14:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Which tour?

He could of just used the shops stock. That way, no extra stock would of been bought, and if his prices werent rip offs, then he wouldnt of had to reduce them 20%!
jacko198

15th Jan 09 at 14:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmm, he looked into it, just with the discounts all these companies get, there was not much chance of keeping up with them, trust me

He does them all tbh, seniors, challenge tour, and the race to dubai
Whittie

15th Jan 09 at 17:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Most head pro's get max discount.

Highest discount Titleist do is 6.5%, don't see why the online shops would be any bigger.

Callaway are different, you've got to pay a £8500 fee just to sell their stock per year.
Mad Moe

15th Jan 09 at 17:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I kind of agree with Jacko in a way. When I just started out I wasn't a member anywhere and didn't really realise how hard it was for a club Pro to make a living. However since then I have purchased all my equipment through my club pro and have encouraged all my friends to do the same out of respect and a show of support for our club.

Also bought all of my new equipment from him when I changed clubs earlier this year and it wasn't any more expensive than any of other places I had seen them and he knocked £35 off my new cart bag, can't ask for better than that!
C2RL R

15th Jan 09 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i don't have a club pro. i don't have a club. i do however have a large mortgage that i pay on my own. i'll stick to the cheap option i think.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

16th Jan 09 at 06:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I find that flexi shafts are no good for me as it causes me to slice

may be due to a fast swing not sure

go to a driving range and ask if you can try out some clubs with varying shafts then decide what to buy

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Cheap Golf clubs for a beginner 24 database queries in 0.0161781 seconds