corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Where do you stand on civil rights?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Where do you stand on civil rights?
Tiger

User status: Offline
26th Jan 09 at 16:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Taken from Amateur Photography:

quote:

Wednesday 23rd January 2008
Chris Cheesman

Anyone who 'appears to be taking photographs in a covert manner' should expect to be stopped and quizzed, warn police.

The caution came in a statement issued by Humberside Police after they seized films from photography enthusiast Steve Carroll in Hull city centre on 1 December.

As revealed by Amateur Photographer last month, police accused Carroll of obtaining photographs of 'possibly sensitive material'.

Carroll - who had been making his first attempt at 'street photography' - said that the officers objected to him photographing 'sensitive buildings', police later adding that members of the public had complained about his use of the camera.

Carroll's films have since been returned by police.

After considering Carroll's complaint a Humberside Police spokesperson said: 'Following a thorough investigation into complaints made to Humberside Police it has [been] found the police officers acted in a right and proper manner.

'Any person who appears to be taking photos in a covert manner should expect to be stopped and spoken to by police to enquire into what their business is.

'Humberside Police would expect other officers within the force to act in the same manner if given a similar situation.'

The spokesperson said it would be inappropriate to discuss details of Carroll's complaint as this is a 'private matter between the complainant and Humberside Police'.

Commenting on the police statement Pete Jenkins, vice-chair of the Photographers Sub Committee at the National Union of Journalists (NUJ), said: 'Taking photographs in a public place in the UK is still not a prohibited act, nor is it any way against the law. We as citizens expect the police to uphold the law, not to make it up as they go along.'

Describing the police's reason for stopping Carroll as 'nonsense' Jenkins added: 'While I can understand that anyone acting in a covert and underhand manner might excite suspicion in today's anti-terrorist climate, one does have to put this into context. A camera, digital or otherwise is just that. It is not a weapon of terrorism or an anti-social tool, nor is it the badge/weapon of the paedophile.'

Jenkins – a fervent campaigner for photographers's rights who also works as a photographic consultant - questions the police's reference to 'sensitive material' as the reason for the stop and asserts that taking photos in a public place is a 'fundamental right'.

Speaking shortly after the incident Carroll told us: 'All the shots were of people. I took shots of people crossing the road, the Big Issue seller, two youths drinking from beer cans, people walking in the street and so on,' adding that he was making his first attempt at 'street photography'.

I put this in here because it was a rant about the subject of breach of civil rights, not specifically about the subject of photography else i'd have put it in Snap Day.............before anyone mentions it, you know who you are Cosmo.
Cosmo

26th Jan 09 at 16:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

moi?
John

26th Jan 09 at 16:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's a lot of rubbish and the sensitive buildings claim is a bad excuse.

The first place i'd go to if I was planning on terrorising any building is google earth, not outside the building with my zoom lens.
Tiger

26th Jan 09 at 16:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
It's a lot of rubbish and the sensitive buildings claim is a bad excuse.

The first place i'd go to if I was planning on terrorising any building is google earth, not outside the building with my zoom lens.

Hit the nail on the head. I took photos of our local, 10 shop, shopping mall, the security threw me out because they said I might be a terrorist. I had my school uniform on and I was 14 at the time
Cosmo

26th Jan 09 at 16:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It is getting abit of a joke lately - at the end of the day stopping people taking a few photos isnt going to stop a terrorist attack.
deano87

26th Jan 09 at 16:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tbh, the only sensitive building in this country is the M15/MOD Headquarters.

Look at the 100's of tourists taking pictures of Downing Street and Buck Palace in London every day.

There was a similar article in AP about someone taking pictures of a fairground wheel being stopped by security for reasons like the above.
Robin
Premium Member

26th Jan 09 at 18:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by deano87
tbh, the only sensitive building in this country is the M15/MOD Headquarters.

Bollocks, there's loads of sensitive buildings in the country, not just 2
John

26th Jan 09 at 19:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's just about as good as you'd get if you were standing on that side of the building with a camera

The other side you could get looking like a tourist on the other side of the river.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Where do you stand on civil rights? 23 database queries in 0.0096281 seconds