corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » CPU Temperature

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author CPU Temperature
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

User status: Offline
10th Feb 09 at 21:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm sick of the fan on our desktop, it's annoyingly loud, I've found out how to set it to run slower when temps are lower but I'm not sure what the temps should be at. It shows me CPU temp and System temp.

I'm guessing that it's probably just a case of the cooler the better as opposed to having a 'normal working temp' like a car so I'm just wondering what temperature is safe?

Thanks in advance
dannymccann

10th Feb 09 at 21:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends on CPU, AMD's run hotter, or I think they used to.

Instead of messing with the system reliability can you not buy a new aftermarket heatsink + fan assembly? Something like a Zalman
_Allan_

10th Feb 09 at 21:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lower the better tbh. As above too many variables to consider, chip type, case, room temp, heatsink etc...

I consider my system fairly modern and in a room temp of 21 deg.

It's sits at 35 deg CPU, 30 deg system for the most part on idle.

Also running a Zalman

http://www.thecoolingshop.com/product_info.php?products_id=2410

It is huge
Mike
Premium Member

10th Feb 09 at 21:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think I'll just leave it then. Not even sure what it's running, when I found the temps lastnight they were both about 28 degrees, room temp was probably 18ish.

I'm not spending any money on it, it's not mine and I'll only get accused of breaking it if something goes wrong after fitting it
_Allan_

10th Feb 09 at 21:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes don't get drawn into the whole 'will you upgrade my pc'. especially with friends and family. They'll expect a 50 year warranty and to call you at any time to come and sort out a completely unrelated problem

[Edited on 10-02-2009 by _Allan_]
ed

10th Feb 09 at 21:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it the CPU cooler that's noisy? GPU coolers are usually the noisy buggers!
dannymccann

10th Feb 09 at 21:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ed has a point, if you are running at 28C thats pretty low anyway, so it could be a malfunctioning GFX fan, if its Nvidia you can use RivaTuner or ATi ATiTrayTools to control fan speeds
ed

10th Feb 09 at 21:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the PC has Vista, and the graphics card driver is a fairly old one, the GPU cooler will run constantly if Aero is enabled. Though Vista is pretty good at keeping the drivers up to date so.......
Mike
Premium Member

10th Feb 09 at 22:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dannymccann
Ed has a point, if you are running at 28C thats pretty low anyway, so it could be a malfunctioning GFX fan, if its Nvidia you can use RivaTuner or ATi ATiTrayTools to control fan speeds

Straight over my head that one mate Ed I don't know which cooler it is that's noisy and regarding your other post it's running XP.

I'm not really up on hardware, I'm probably above average on using a computer but working parts are a different matter, vending machines and cars I'm alright with, computers are something I've just bought and used till they break then get a new one
dannymccann

10th Feb 09 at 22:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Open up the side of the case and turn it on, then u can just listen to each fan in turn (try not to get your hair caught in it though )

[Edited on 10-02-2009 by dannymccann]
ed

10th Feb 09 at 22:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Open the case and use your finger the stop the fans individually to see which one is the noisy one
Mike
Premium Member

10th Feb 09 at 22:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dannymccann
Open up the side of the case and turn it on, then u can just listen to each fan in turn (try not to get your hair caught in it though )

[Edited on 10-02-2009 by dannymccann]

No worries on that one mate

Ed, I may look daft and sound daft and infact be daft but I'm not idiotic
dannymccann

11th Feb 09 at 08:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It doesnt hurt, Ive done that before

In all seriousness take the side off (with the computer off) then turn it on, let it get up to temperature and you will be able to hear where the noise is coming from, do you know what the inside of a case looks like?

edit - if u do go ahead with this your case may have a 'side open alarm', it will be a little wire that connects to a switch on the chassis, all u have to do is depress the button to stop the fecking thing beeping at you constantly (you may not have this, but if its a piece of shit bought from PC World and the like you probly will have)

[Edited on 11-02-2009 by dannymccann]
Cavey

11th Feb 09 at 08:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't have to shove your finger in the blades of the fan, stop the fans by touching the middle bit.

New Poll