corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » drinking and atibiotics

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author drinking and atibiotics
myke

User status: Offline
27th Feb 09 at 16:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

people keep telling me it's a bad idea.
Do you just get messy or does the booze reverse the effects of the drugs or anything?

bit of a shitter if you can't touch a drop while on them.

I'm on a 10 day course of liquid penicillin that i started on Wednesday morning. will it set me back massively?

cheers
John

27th Feb 09 at 16:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

10 days isn't exactly a lot to go without a drink is it.
myke

27th Feb 09 at 16:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no, but it incorporates the weekend and i'm visiting a mate tomorrow i don't see very often for a supossed piss up which has been arranged for ages.
BluKoo

27th Feb 09 at 16:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think at worst it will do more damage to your kidneys than regular drinking will.
Skylined

27th Feb 09 at 16:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I drank on penecillin in ibiza

alcohol is supposed to stop antibiotics working.....so if you're gonna drink don't bother taking any for a few hours beforehand then start taking again next day
Ian
Site Administrator

27th Feb 09 at 16:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was prescribed anti-histamines on which you're not supposed to drink. I forgot and had one pint and felt bloody awful. Not to be recommended. Not sure if it's the same for anti-biotics.

[Edited on 27-02-2009 by Ian]
myke

27th Feb 09 at 17:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks like i'll be best off taking it easy tomorrow then. Probably for the best.

I'd promised them i'd drink a few Strongbows with Absinthe tops as well.
Paul_J

27th Feb 09 at 17:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Alcohol causes the blood cells / vessels to open up more, so you'll find that more of the medication you are on gets absorbed faster...

So for example with normal medication, if you say took a pain killer that lasts for say 6-8 hours, but were drinking. You'd find that the effects were a lot stronger and the medication would run out faster.

hence it generally 'gets you fucked' / makes the medication less effective at what it's doing.
Carl

27th Feb 09 at 17:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There is a certain anti-biotic out there that you can't drink whilst taking, I assume it probably makes you very Ill, and if it is that you are prescribed the doctor would have said. The rest you can, all it does is stop the anti biotics working. the rest is all mythology iirc. People may feel fucked quicker, probably dependant on what they are taking them for in the first place kicking in a bit!

IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

27th Feb 09 at 17:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

some you can some you cant
gavin18787
Premium Member

27th Feb 09 at 17:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The one your definatly not suposed to drink on is metronidazole.

Pennicillin based ones its probably best not to if you can help it. Icreases the effects of alcohol and will reduce the efficency of the drug. By all means have a pint maybe just dont get smashed into next week

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

27th Feb 09 at 17:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yer of stops some of them working
And also it will make you very drunk off like a quarter of the amount you usualy drink
ssj_kakarot

27th Feb 09 at 17:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just drink, whats the worst that could happen ?

you get drunk cheaper winner, surely drinking one day couldnt destroy thr effects of a full course of anti-biotics.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » drinking and atibiotics 24 database queries in 0.0109780 seconds