corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Partitions

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Partitions
xa0s
Banned

User status: Offline
6th Mar 09 at 06:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a 1TB HDD in my HTPC and I want to put a few different OS's on it. I'd like to have a play with a few *nix flavours and may even put a different version of Windows on there.

Is there software available to partition a HDD without wiping what's already on there? I've used about 100gb and whenever I want to partition something it normally requires me to format the entire drive. I'm after a application that will allow me to play about with the drive space on the fly.

I've not got much experience with partitions -- do they show up as another drive once partitioned or what? Say for example, I create 3 partitions with a different OS on each partition. How would I boot into that OS quickly without too much fuss?

I've been told Norton Ghost is pretty decent. Anyone used this program? What's the best version and is it crackable if I download a torrent of it?
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

6th Mar 09 at 06:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Partition Magic use to be the one in the day which may still be good, lets you resize/chop on the fly.

Once you start making partitions it will only come up as another drive in Windows if you format it with a familiar filesystem like FAT32 or NTFS.

If you want to put linux on there then make the partition and leave it, boot into the linux installer and it will see the spare partition. then depending on what distribution you have selected it will format the partition in its preferred filesystem.
willay
Premium Member

6th Mar 09 at 06:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh and once you have 3 partitions with 3 different operating systems booting into each one is as easy as your bootloader is configured, Windows comes with one, so do pretty much all the linuxes and *BSD.
xa0s
Banned

6th Mar 09 at 06:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So, if I just wanted another partition which comes up as another drive in Windows so I can store all my pictures on it, what would I need to do?
willay
Premium Member

6th Mar 09 at 06:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

use one of them flashy partition programs to split off your current partition into the desired size.

then...if this was Windows XP...

Control Panel
Administrative Tools
Computer Management

Then click Storage, then Disk Management. you'll have an entry like 'disk 0' and you'll see two boxes within that row, one showing your current partition which should be 'NTFS Healthy (System)' and another one which will be marked something else but I cannot remember what, then from there you ca click on the new partition, format, assign a drive letter, sorted.
xa0s
Banned

6th Mar 09 at 06:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Decent. Cheers dude!

Can you remove the partition at a later date and add the space back to your main partition?
willay
Premium Member

6th Mar 09 at 06:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ummmm not sure, if i'm honest i never fuck around with my partitions, i set them from the start and leave it like that.
Andrew

6th Mar 09 at 14:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you don't wish to partition your drive and wish to play with different OSs then you can use things like VMWare or Virtual PC all of which are free.

GParted is pretty good for Partitioning drives too and freely available as it's Open Source.

Again, rather than using Norton Ghost to image your drive, CloneZilla is another Open Source option.

I know how much willay hates Vista but i'm a pretty big fan along with Ubuntu and Lepard.
Andrew

6th Mar 09 at 14:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by xa0s
Can you remove the partition at a later date and add the space back to your main partition?

Yes you can. Just make sure you don't fuck up the Master Boot Record or you will need to reinstall this. Just google it for your OS, it's pretty straight forward.
Neo

6th Mar 09 at 14:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

PArtition magic will do all that just fine.

As Andrew says dont fuck up your MBR, ex boss did this on his new macbook thinking he was cool and had to rebuild the tables by hand
pow
Premium Member

6th Mar 09 at 15:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ermm..

fdisk /mbr?
Neo

6th Mar 09 at 15:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
Ermm..

fdisk /mbr?

macbook darling
pow
Premium Member

6th Mar 09 at 15:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

now they run on intel though you can book them into a dosish envronment
Neo

6th Mar 09 at 15:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ah touché

I think his was royally bent over though

New Poll