corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Valuation on New build

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Valuation on New build
AshGo

User status: Offline
5th May 09 at 20:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Me and my partner are looking to purchase a new build property local to where we currently live. The housing association have set the price at £115,000. We have started the process of getting the mortgage and the lender has sent a surveyer out to the property to have it valued. We found out today that the valuation came back at £105,000. Is this something we shoud worry about/ bringup with the sales rep, maybe ask for a reduction in the asking price? Or is this normal for new builds? I understand they have to make a profit.

Cheers
Ash
a_j_mair

5th May 09 at 20:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i wouldnt offer any more than valuation unless you really want it and have enough cash to pay the difference
jrsteeve

5th May 09 at 20:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does happen a fair bit, but is potentially good news for you. The builder will have to put forward some more comparables to back up their pricing or drop the price. If they won't drop you could lose the survey costs if you pull out, or have to make up the difference of 10k urself.
AshGo

5th May 09 at 20:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The builder is giving us £3000 cashback on completion of the mortgage, unfortunately as were already putting down 25% deposit as this is the least the lender will accept, we can't afford to make up the difference ourselves. We will only loose the £150 valuation fee if we pull out now but then again we have been looking for months and we both really want the property.
a_j_mair

5th May 09 at 20:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if ypou cant afford to make up the difference surely you cant afford it, will need a larger mortgage

id pull out personally or offer a lower price
jrsteeve

5th May 09 at 22:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd reduce your offer based on the RICS valuation. Ask them how they valued it in the first place, find out what others on the development sold for aswell (nethouseprices.com) so you have evidence to get them down on price. They'll just have the same problem with the next buyer anyway, so they should revise the price. Ask your surveyor for the comparables used to value the property.

Is it housing association or private builder?
Brabus

6th May 09 at 07:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by a_j_mair
if ypou cant afford to make up the difference surely you cant afford it, will need a larger mortgage

id pull out personally or offer a lower price

The difference will be minimal in terms of mortgage payments, however getting together a lump sum of 10k in a short space of time will be rather more difficult.
Brabus

6th May 09 at 07:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jrsteeve
I'd reduce your offer based on the RICS valuation. Ask them how they valued it in the first place, find out what others on the development sold for aswell (nethouseprices.com) so you have evidence to get them down on price. They'll just have the same problem with the next buyer anyway, so they should revise the price. Ask your surveyor for the comparables used to value the property.

Is it housing association or private builder?

Its a houseing association, Riverside. The Builders are Lovell, i don't know who sets the prices. As i work for the mortgage lender i can view the valuation, it also mentions,

'Sales incentives of £9000 deposit have been disclosed on this sale and should be confirmed by the lenders legal advisor in accordance with the CML handbook. The effect of these on the selling price has been taken into account in the valuatuon'.

Does this mean that the sales advisor get a £9k bonus upon sale of the property hence it being £10k overpriced? If so i think we need to have words but want to get everything straight first.
VegasPhil
Premium Member

6th May 09 at 08:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No...

They mean there is a sales incentive. Free Conveyancing, Cashback, etc included that has influenced the price...

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Brabus

6th May 09 at 08:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VegasPhil
No...

They mean there is a sales incentive. Free Conveyancing, Cashback, etc included that has influenced the price...

Ahh right, good job we cleared that up although they are only giving us 5% cash back(£2750) and £500 towards solitors fees. That seems quite a way off £9k...
VegasPhil
Premium Member

6th May 09 at 11:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just chip it then.

Brabus

6th May 09 at 13:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What does 'chip it' mean
VegasPhil
Premium Member

7th May 09 at 11:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get the price down

Brabus

7th May 09 at 16:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

UPDATE:

As the valuation came back below the asking price the case got reffered to the underwriters who confirmed that they are not willing to lend on the property, even if we got the asking price down in line with the valuation.

Their excuse is that because the house is part of an unfinished regeneration area, they feel the parts that have not yet been regenerated will affect the saleability too much Bit of a shame because in a year the whole area will be completed and no doubt the house will be worth more due to this.

[Edited on 07-05-2009 by Brabus]

New Poll