corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Couple on the run after bank deposits $10 million by accident

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Couple on the run after bank deposits $10 million by accident
will_doyle
Banned

User status: Offline
22nd May 09 at 07:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Police are hunting an Asian couple thought to have fled the country with millions of dollars, after a banking error.

The couple, who ran a Rotorua service station, are understood to have applied to Westpac Bank for a $10,000 overdraft and mistakenly had $10 million paid into their account.

A Westpac spokesman today refused to confirm the amount mistakenly given to the couple, though said the bank was "pursing vigorous criminal and civil action to recover the sum of money stolen".

He said human error was responsible for the couple's substantial windfall, not a systems error, and that the bank was reviewing its procedures.

Police had asked international police liaison organisation Interpol to help find the couple.

The service station has closed and gone into receivership.

Officer-in-charge Detective Senior Sergeant David Harvey of Rotorua CIB was prepared only to say that an investigation had been launched into a substantial sum of money that had been "mistakenly advanced" from Westpac.

Police had received a complaint from Westpac relating to people living in Rotorua.

He refused to say how much money was involved.

Police were investigating because the Westpac bank considered what had happened was theft or fraud, through the use of a document to obtain a pecuniary advantage, Mr Harvey told Rotorua's Daily Post newspaper.

He confirmed some of the money mistakenly advanced had been withdrawn from the bank account but was not prepared to say how much money was involved.

He expected the investigation to "take some time".

Banking Ombudsman Liz Brown told The Daily Post that generally speaking it was a criminal offence for someone to spend money accidentally put into their bank account if they knew the money wasn't theirs.

In her 15 years as banking ombudsman she had been involved in 10 to 20 cases of this nature. They were legally referred to as "payment by mistake".

She was unable to recall how much money was involved in each case.

"There haven't been cases of millions of dollars but certainly ones where there have been several thousand dollars," she said.

Massey University banking lecturer Claire Matthews said the lucky recipients would probably not get away with it.

"They've taken funds that they're not entitled to, that are not theirs," she told Newstalk ZB.

"They've effectively, I guess, become thieves but it is only going to be a matter of time."

The business owners would be hard pressed to argue they honestly believed they were entitled to such a huge sum of money, she said.

Westpac said this morning court action had begun to recover the money but refused to comment further.

http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/top-sto...flee-millions/
Daimo B

22nd May 09 at 07:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yesterdays news that.
Tom G

22nd May 09 at 08:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So they got the 10 mill overdraft, then went straight into the bank and withdrew it all??
You can't do that...
Twiggy

22nd May 09 at 08:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fucking
Ben G

22nd May 09 at 08:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tom_Glover
So they got the 10 mill overdraft, then went straight into the bank and withdrew it all??
You can't do that...

no, they got it then tranferred it between accounts or something.

and anyway, if they did withdraw 10 million, whos to stop them, it's ''their'' money according to the cashier behind the desk so they can't refuse to give them it if they think it's all legit.

[Edited on 22-05-2009 by Ben G]
Tom G

22nd May 09 at 08:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
quote:
You can't do that...

no, they got it then tranferred it between accounts or something.

and anyway, if they did withdraw 10 million, whos to stop them, it's ''their'' money according to the cashier behind the desk so they can't refuse to give them it if they think it's all legit.

[Edited on 22-05-2009 by Ben G]

Ahh didnt read it all
Don't you have to put a request in ten wait so many days so they can ave the money ready for you??
Like in this country
stubs

22nd May 09 at 08:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Perhaps they transferred it to a different account?
Cosmo

22nd May 09 at 08:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive had £400,000 paid into my account by mistake. Paid in a £4000 cheque and she must of missed putting the decimal point in.

It went out before I ever saw it, but got a shock when I got my bank statement through...Paid In £400 and odd thousand, Paid Out £400 and odd thousand
Matt L

22nd May 09 at 08:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they arent really going to get very far are they, surely the banks can trace where they have transfered money to and find out where they are using their cards etc.
Ash_EP3

22nd May 09 at 09:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
Ive had £400,000 paid into my account by mistake. Paid in a £4000 cheque and she must of missed putting the decimal point in.

It went out before I ever saw it, but got a shock when I got my bank statement through...Paid In £400 and odd thousand, Paid Out £400 and odd thousand

Thats pennies to you though lets be honest...
Jay

22nd May 09 at 09:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd of took the chance and ran off with it myself
Pete_vxl

22nd May 09 at 09:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a 10 million transfer wont go through faster payment either so they should be able to track it easily... i'd of thought.
stubs

22nd May 09 at 10:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Pete_vxl
a 10 million transfer wont go through faster payment either so they should be able to track it easily... i'd of thought.

Faster than Paypal though I bet!
Jay

22nd May 09 at 11:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
You can't do that...

It says its $10mil paid into the account, it wasn't an overdraft, they simply withdrew some of it, and got off! Which means they have obiviously got a good wedge out to make it worthwhile of going missing...
Tommy L

22nd May 09 at 11:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What a fuck up

'Can we have a $10,000 overdraft please' and instead they get $10mil paid into their account. I want to bank with them

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Couple on the run after bank deposits $10 million by accident 23 database queries in 0.1077831 seconds