corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » 500D thoughts?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 500D thoughts?
Butler

User status: Offline
17th May 09 at 20:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Weve had it at work for a while. I cant see any difference over the 450, other than the video of course and the extra 3mp. I am mildly intruiged by the video function though... £749 to your average joe, I looked it up on my staff account earlier, £648, not a bad saving! Would you want one over a 40D though? Pros and cons? Im not really looking to upgrade just wondering what people think really.
John

17th May 09 at 22:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sensor and most of the specs from the next model up in a 450D chassis isn't it?

I'm also really interested in the video function.

I've never found the size of my 350D a problem so i'd probably be swaying towards the 500D.
Butler

17th May 09 at 22:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Digic 4 processor of the 50D, youre right. Video would be useful for short vids nothing else though, as far as I know you can only record for a couple of minutes or so before the sensor gets too hot.
xa0s
Banned

17th May 09 at 23:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Higher ISO control to. I had a play of one which a 'tog I know was reviewing and even at ISO 100 it looked noisy! I'd say ISO 200 was like ISO 400-800 on my 450D in all honesty. I wasn't impressed.

It's also the same sort of money you'd need for a 50D, so if you don't need video then you'd be a mug to choose the 500D over the 50D IMO.

Don't get it wrong either, a lot of people think the resolution is everything. It's really not. I'd pick a 10mp 40D over the 15mp 500D just for the focusing. It's the reason I upgraded to a 50D.

Plus, it'll always be an entry-level SLR. It's perfect if you're looking to buy a D-SLR and wouldn't mind video too, but other than that, there's better options out there. For image-to-price ratio the 450D wins all day long, let alone the 40D/50D.

[Edited on 17-05-2009 by xa0s]
Butler

26th May 09 at 21:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think im going to upgrade this week to the 500, its come down in price already, now much cheaper than the 50d.
John

26th May 09 at 22:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was reading a bit more about it earlier on coincidentally, it's a different sensor from the 50d but the digic 4 processor is supposed to be far superior to the one in the 450d, an excellent camera from canon again from what i've seen so far.
Butler

26th May 09 at 22:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive had a play with the video, only thing id say is that the camera could probably benefit from a little more weight to reduce shake.
Butler

28th May 09 at 14:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive just come home with my new 500D, il be taking with me to the ring tomorrow, going to really test it out.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » 500D thoughts? 24 database queries in 0.0133841 seconds