corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Focus ST

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Focus ST
Mase
Premium Member

User status: Offline
19th Jul 09 at 13:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm looking at maybe getting one of these soon, as they seem very well priced at present and was wondering if anyone has had any experience of these previously and would care to share their opinions?! I know Ben has got one on here and before anyone else say's it, I'm on FocusSTOC aswell but wanted to see if anyone had an opinion on here having driven or experienced an ST...

Cheers peoples

Mase
Graham88

19th Jul 09 at 14:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ben G has one but drives it like a granny so doesn't really have an opinion.
BarnshaW

19th Jul 09 at 14:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do u mean the older one?
Graham88

19th Jul 09 at 14:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You're thinking of RS Barnshaw
BarnshaW

19th Jul 09 at 14:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no...u have the older focus st170...
Graham88

19th Jul 09 at 14:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doh, me being silly
P1CK4D

19th Jul 09 at 14:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats not classed as just a Focus ST though, thats a ST170..
mk4_astra

19th Jul 09 at 14:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

very nearly got one over the bmw but was put off by just how many i see on the roads and how tacky they looked in some colours with the grey bits on the bodykit at the front and those awful stripes.

an st3 3 door in silver looks spot on imo, closely followed by orange or black.

when into them many people said they were the best overall hatch out there, an st3 is loaded with goodies and they handle and go well dispite how heavy they are. another advantage is how good they sound and how tunable they are. lots of places offer maps for them but the montune package is the one to go for as you get an upgraded intercooler and air filter
Mase
Premium Member

19th Jul 09 at 15:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am on about the ST225, although the pre-facelift, as the facelift model is a little too much for my budget to stretch to!

I do agree there are a fair few around here, but when I fired one up yesterday when I was looking around, the noise just confirmed it for me! I haven't driven one yet, it was only a flying visit to the dealer, but the equipment and the build quality appears to be pretty damn good. My local ford dealer do the Mountune packs and dreamscience so I can't see one staying standard for long!

Any more opinions?

Mase
Jambo

19th Jul 09 at 15:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

without wanting to start a war....

The interior is nasty and they dont look that different to a normal focus unless you buy it in dayglo orange. 5 door ones are especially naff.

Get an Astra Vxr or Meganne if it was me
Mase
Premium Member

19th Jul 09 at 15:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well I think they do look different to the standard Focus and for the whole package that you can get for 12.5k for example is pretty damn good. I can't be too stupid in my car choice, as I'm not willing to pay too much for insurance nowerdays....

The megane is a really nice car, thats definately my 2nd choice, but I'm just concerned about taking the hit on depreciation?

As for the VXR, I just don't really fancy one, I want to have a change from Vauxhall, as I've only owned them so far!

Mase
Jambo

19th Jul 09 at 15:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

depreciation does seem to affect the renaults badly. But thats both a posotive and a negative.

Its your choice at the end of the day, hardly a bad car. Sure to be reliable easy to live with and practical.

The above is just my opinion
Ben G

19th Jul 09 at 15:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

astra vxr interior not exactly any worse jambo.

i've had mine 13 months now and it's been awesome, still finding it hard to part with it because it's such a good all round car.

as standard it's good enough to drive and be happy, but with a cold air induction system (CAIS), intercooler and a remap it's a totally different animal. you'll be pushing 285bhp, if not more with those mods which will put a smile on your face all the time.

the noise from the 5 cylinder engine is awesome, mine regularly pops and bangs on the standard exhaust, it just makes you want to keep trying to do it.

mpg is not that good, expect 25-30mpg cruising on motorways, 20-25mpg around town normal driving and 16-18mpg with sprited driving.

focusstoc.com is the best st225 website out there with loads of information about the car, spend the £10 membership fee and you'll find out loads of different things.

only things to be wary of are running costs (i go through front tyres every 6,000 miles) and stone chips as the paint is quite soft.

my front bumper has loads of stone chips which is annoying so i wouldn't recommend getting an orange one on the basis the paint is so hard to match.

if you need any more info, send me a u2u and i'll ge tback to you
Mase
Premium Member

19th Jul 09 at 15:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

[In reply to mr Jambo] indeed it does and to be fair the ones i've seen have already took a pretty big hit, but feel they will continue to plummet over the next year or so, especially when the new one comes out! I did see a white R26 for 15k, which is above my budget, but my god it was a good looking car!

The ST is the reliable, practical choice I agree, but this will be my first 'decent' car really, so have got plenty more years to go mental and get slightly more 'exciting' cars! The sound of the ST did give me a slight chubby tho...

[Edited on 19-07-2009 by Mase]

Mase
Ben G

19th Jul 09 at 15:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh and i run mine on tesco 99 fuel which seems to suit the car best, it achieved 253bhp and 288 lb/ft torque at a torque of the devil rolling road day last october which is a good figure for standard.
Mase
Premium Member

19th Jul 09 at 15:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers ben! I have noticed that the tyres on the one's I've looked at look are a bit tired, and some have had proper ditchfinders put on the front, so obviously the owners were struggling to keep up with the running costs! How much is it for the 18's per corner?

Mase
Ben G

19th Jul 09 at 15:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my vredesteins were £93 a corner and were recommended by focusstoc.com

they're much better than the continentals when doing 0-60's

conti's were circa £130 a corner and they aren't worth it.
Ben G

19th Jul 09 at 15:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Graham88
Ben G has one but drives it like a granny so doesn't really have an opinion.

done 150 on a private road i'll have you know
Graham88

19th Jul 09 at 15:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Slow
Mase
Premium Member

19th Jul 09 at 15:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah thats not too bad then, I was expecting they would all the on the wrong side of £100, so I can live with that!

Mase

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Focus ST 24 database queries in 0.0156400 seconds