corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Personal Statements

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Personal Statements
ed

User status: Offline
20th Jul 09 at 13:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Those of you who have written them before for applications, did you write it in the 1st or 3rd person? I've found conflicting information on which way round to do it. I have to say, most I have read have been in the 3rd person, but I don't want to look silly
Tommy L

20th Jul 09 at 13:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would of thought it would of been in the first person if it's a personal statement

Personally i think it would be weird saying 'He/She has done so and so'.
pow
Premium Member

20th Jul 09 at 13:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

First person.

You did the work, not someone else
chloe16v

20th Jul 09 at 13:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

when i had to write mine at college it was in the 1st person
_Allan_

20th Jul 09 at 13:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have no underpants on today!
ed

20th Jul 09 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It does seem the logical way to do it doesn't it...
chloe16v

20th Jul 09 at 13:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well yes, its the only way
chloe16v

20th Jul 09 at 13:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and always refer to yourself as I
pow
Premium Member

20th Jul 09 at 13:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Writing it 3rd person seems very very old fashioned to me...
Tommy L

20th Jul 09 at 13:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You would use the 3rd person if you were writing a statement about someone else
GF-91
Banned

20th Jul 09 at 13:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1st person!
Ojc

20th Jul 09 at 13:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

English Literature has the ability to excite, entertain, please, thrill, inspire, and so much more. Beginning with my Mother reading to me as a child, I’ve had an uncontrollable passion for Literature and have immersed myself in Novels, Poetry, and all such literary matter. I am fascinated at how the power of words can take the dimensions of my imagination to new realms. From learning and absorbing the messages and ideas of others Literature allows us to build the pieces of history from memoirs left behind. I am especially enthralled by the way literary works enable me to visit the past. Throughout my studies I have been pleased to encounter heroic war poets such as Wilfred Owen, Siegfried Sassoon and Walt Whitman. The words they left behind through their emotive, profound, poignant poetry and prose enable our minds to understand the true and detrimental effect of such historic events, something that cannot be portrayed by simply stating emotionless facts. These works provide a vessel for us to envision and feel what others have before them, words that engage the mind and the senses. Recently I have had the pleasure of studying the works of classic influential literary figures as Shakespeare, Austen and Hardy. I have particularly enjoyed exploring the satirically comedic elements of Shakespeare’s and Hardys tragedies and the more romantic elements, and advanced feministic notions of Austen’s work.

My early life was spent developing my love of literature and after completing my GCSE’s this led me to study English Language and Literature at AS level. Whilst at college I took part in several public speaking events and debate competitions, and was part of a student led reading group. Unfortunately personal circumstances took me of course and it was for these reasons only that I did not attend University to progress my studies in literature as I had always planned. Although these circumstances delayed my return to study I always planned that I would return to studying.

Although the journey of life has taken me away from studying for that past few years it has not managed to dull my feelings or my desire to study literature. Despite having a professional career I still spend all of my spare time reading and discussing the subject with my friends and family. Last year my passion for wanting to learn more led me to enrol on the English Literature Certificate course at Reading University. Taking part in this course has only affirmed what I have always felt: literature for me is a major part of my life and a subject I would like to devote myself to studying full time. Having time away from studying has only enriched my passion to study and made me more determined. The practical life experience I have gained has only heightened my passion for literature and highlighted my ambition to study full time. Receiving good marks for the pieces of work I have submitted so far in the certificate course has given me the confidence to believe that I can undertake study full time and succeed. For me there is no greater passion in my life and feeling as strongly as I do on the subject I would like to make this a lifelong journey and pursue a career in teaching. There would be no greater joy that educating others to the world of literature and all it has to offer, and be able to evoke such passion and pleasure from them as I have experienced.

Returning to full time study will no doubt be a challenge but one that I feel I am fully committed too. Given the chance I am sure it will be an exciting and positive experience. I am fully prepared and enthusiastic to learn more and make literature an even bigger part of my life.
GF-91
Banned

20th Jul 09 at 13:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
English Literature has the ability to excite, entertain, please, thrill, inspire, and so much more. Beginning with my Mother reading to me as a child, I’ve had an uncontrollable passion for Literature and have immersed myself in Novels, Poetry, and all such literary matter. I am fascinated at how the power of words can take the dimensions of my imagination to new realms. From learning and absorbing the messages and ideas of others Literature allows us to build the pieces of history from memoirs left behind. I am especially enthralled by the way literary works enable me to visit the past. Throughout my studies I have been pleased to encounter heroic war poets such as Wilfred Owen, Siegfried Sassoon and Walt Whitman. The words they left behind through their emotive, profound, poignant poetry and prose enable our minds to understand the true and detrimental effect of such historic events, something that cannot be portrayed by simply stating emotionless facts. These works provide a vessel for us to envision and feel what others have before them, words that engage the mind and the senses. Recently I have had the pleasure of studying the works of classic influential literary figures as Shakespeare, Austen and Hardy. I have particularly enjoyed exploring the satirically comedic elements of Shakespeare’s and Hardys tragedies and the more romantic elements, and advanced feministic notions of Austen’s work.

My early life was spent developing my love of literature and after completing my GCSE’s this led me to study English Language and Literature at AS level. Whilst at college I took part in several public speaking events and debate competitions, and was part of a student led reading group. Unfortunately personal circumstances took me of course and it was for these reasons only that I did not attend University to progress my studies in literature as I had always planned. Although these circumstances delayed my return to study I always planned that I would return to studying.

Although the journey of life has taken me away from studying for that past few years it has not managed to dull my feelings or my desire to study literature. Despite having a professional career I still spend all of my spare time reading and discussing the subject with my friends and family. Last year my passion for wanting to learn more led me to enrol on the English Literature Certificate course at Reading University. Taking part in this course has only affirmed what I have always felt: literature for me is a major part of my life and a subject I would like to devote myself to studying full time. Having time away from studying has only enriched my passion to study and made me more determined. The practical life experience I have gained has only heightened my passion for literature and highlighted my ambition to study full time. Receiving good marks for the pieces of work I have submitted so far in the certificate course has given me the confidence to believe that I can undertake study full time and succeed. For me there is no greater passion in my life and feeling as strongly as I do on the subject I would like to make this a lifelong journey and pursue a career in teaching. There would be no greater joy that educating others to the world of literature and all it has to offer, and be able to evoke such passion and pleasure from them as I have experienced.

Returning to full time study will no doubt be a challenge but one that I feel I am fully committed too. Given the chance I am sure it will be an exciting and positive experience. I am fully prepared and enthusiastic to learn more and make literature an even bigger part of my life.

i like this, haven't read it, but yes, I like it
MoesTavern

20th Jul 09 at 18:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pmsl at 'the journey of life'

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Personal Statements 23 database queries in 0.0137410 seconds