corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » thermostat

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author thermostat
seanmooney

User status: Offline
6th Aug 09 at 12:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the car near boiled the other day on me so i said i had to do somethin so i change the thermostat and now it sits well below the 90 now and comes upto the 90 when in traffic.. is this ok?
seanmooney

6th Aug 09 at 14:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

??
Root

6th Aug 09 at 14:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

These engines are old are tend to overheat in traffic but as long as the fan is cooling the thing down when it gets to 95-97 then it's fine.

I boiled ALL the coolant out mine about 5k miles ago, it blew the head gasket. I changed head gasket and it's been fine since, no problems. I can't say DONT change the thermo 'cus you may need to though.
Kevxx

6th Aug 09 at 14:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you're worried change it, for all the cash it costs

But like root says, in traffic any car will just get hotter and hotter, if it's starting to boil, you're fan isn't kicking in.
seanmooney

6th Aug 09 at 23:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no.. no... i did change it and its sitting under the 90 now, i was asking was that ok?
Root

6th Aug 09 at 23:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

underneath 90 is spot on mate, check your oil cap for mayo seeing as you boiled it.

If it goes up to 97 and the fan does NOT kick in, then you have a problem, but up to then...it's fine
seanmooney

7th Aug 09 at 00:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it didnt hit the red so does that mean it might not of boiled? Im going to get a vehicle mechanic to put the fan on a switch for me so i can turn it on when i want... i dono if its kicking in or not.
seanmooney

7th Aug 09 at 00:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

an i was checking the cap and no mayo yet... thank god..
Root

7th Aug 09 at 10:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you don't need to do that. Just start your car, let it idle for 3-5 minutes until it reaches 95 ish and see if the fan kicks in, if it reaches 100 and the fan doesn't, then you have a problem.

Letting it go to 100 just to see if the fan kicks in won't damage it, you may have to add more coolant if any evaporates which is unlikely.

New Poll