corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Anyone been to Cairo before?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Anyone been to Cairo before?
liamC

User status: Offline
6th Aug 09 at 09:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Decided to gan last minute - leaving tomorrow morning but a bit unsure of where to stay as it's a big place from all accounts.

Anyone been before and can recommend anywhere in town but close to alot of things?
RichR
Premium Member

6th Aug 09 at 09:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes; its the most depressing, destitute place I've been to.

A dirty, smog hangs in the air over the city which you can see for miles on the approach.

The most depressing thing I saw was the shacks/houses built over the tombs/graves of family. Effectively, the only land that these peopel could afford was that given to them by the state to bury their dead, so they build houses on it and live over open graves/tombs.

The Cairo museum is really worth going to though, fantastic place.

I didn't think much of the pyramids; they were disappointing as I'd always imagined them to be right out in the middle of the desert whereas infact they're 5 minutes outside Cairo
whitter45

6th Aug 09 at 10:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have been but never stayed there

best staying a close as you can to the nile as that the luxury part
whitter45

6th Aug 09 at 10:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

better going to luxor to be honest
Scotty_B

6th Aug 09 at 11:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's a shit hole and the people are weirdos.

Frying hot though.
liamC

12th Aug 09 at 09:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Back.

Interesting place is Cairo.

Like above, a complete shithole, but an interesting place at the same time. Thought the driving here was bad until I seen them lot on the roads.

Pyramids are awesome and well worth a look.

Egyptian museum is well worth a look. Incredible to see what they've dug up over the years, especially seeing the remains from King Tut's tomb from thousands of years ago. Great to see.

Went for 4 days in total - wouldn't recommend staying for any longer than that for anyone thinking of going.

Had the shits for the last 2 days as well
Sam
Premium Member

12th Aug 09 at 12:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pics?

Myself and other family members have been out there often, like anywhere TBH there will be good and bad areas - do you speak Arabic Liam? As this would help in finding out good places to go and avoiding slum areas etc. by talking to the locals.

[Edited on 12-08-2009 by Sam]
Jambo

12th Aug 09 at 12:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive never seen a more rechid hithe of scum and villiany.

I wouldnt ever go back. Ever.
Sam
Premium Member

12th Aug 09 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo

No offence Jambo but what did you expect? A nice rich Western country like England? The majority of people out there are poor and for the most part uneducated.

[Edited on 12-08-2009 by Sam]
MoesTavern

12th Aug 09 at 14:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BKRZTalEys
Jambo

12th Aug 09 at 14:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
quote:
Originally posted by Jambo

No offence Jambo but what did you expect? A nice rich Western country like England? The majority of people out there are poor and for the most part uneducated.

not at all, the reasons are obvious. Doesnt mean i would want to go back though does it?! Sharm wasnt disgusting, neither was naama bay nor 99% of the desert and small truck stops along the way. Am i not allowed to say the reality? The nile stank of piss, i was shocked by the poloution and the condition of the Cairo museum, i understand why but that doesnt mean i would want to return.

Are you from Cairo Sam?
Sam
Premium Member

12th Aug 09 at 17:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No need to get defensive mate, the point I was trying to make (and perhaps not very well by the looks of things) is that you can't say the whole city is one big shithole. Yes some bits are shit, yes it's smoggy and pollution is stupidly high, but there are some nice parts - as there are to any city in the world really.

Oh and no I am not from Cairo - you've met me once, did it look/sound like I was from Cairo then?

Colin

12th Aug 09 at 17:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Absolute shit hole, best thing I saw there was a fight between a tourist and a peasant and another tourist getting electrocuted going into a pyramid.
Siberia

12th Aug 09 at 18:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tbh i would be very carefull if you just plan on walking down the street in downtown ciaro... you dont want to get err...kidnaped....

i was there for a day... it was a experience to see it but it was a complete hole... the buildings look like there falling down...

we were under armed guard most of the day...
HOMIE

12th Aug 09 at 19:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tbh mate its like what theyve said, some places are stunning and other places are shit, i would strongly recommend not walking around the middle of town during the night, unless u want to get mugged/ harrassed by the people trying to sell things. In my opinion i would visit the pyramids me and my girlfriend thought they were amazing, and it was a experience, obviously u will be gone now but let us know how it went
liamC

13th Aug 09 at 08:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Siberia
tbh i would be very carefull if you just plan on walking down the street in downtown ciaro... you dont want to get err...kidnaped....
i was there for a day... it was a experience to see it but it was a complete hole... the buildings look like there falling down...

Walked down the street plenty of times with no bother

quote:
Originally posted by HOMIE
Tbh mate its like what theyve said, some places are stunning and other places are shit, i would strongly recommend not walking around the middle of town during the night, unless u want to get mugged/ harrassed by the people trying to sell things. In my opinion i would visit the pyramids me and my girlfriend thought they were amazing, and it was a experience, obviously u will be gone now but let us know how it went

I'm back now mate

Pics

View of the Nile from the hotel

Pyramids & Sphinx

(No idea who bird is in this pic before I'm asked)

Like I say, well worth going for a couple of days to see the Pyramids of Giza, but wouldn't go back for any other reason
HOMIE

13th Aug 09 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Nile is far to commercilised, before i went i was expecting some kind of peaceful river, glad you had a good time
Siberia

13th Aug 09 at 22:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by liamC
quote:
Originally posted by Siberia

Walked down the street plenty of times with no bother

you must have been standing in almost the same place as me...

maybe things have changed... i didnt feel very safe there.... as i say ther was armed police around us all day... you can see them in this pic....

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Anyone been to Cairo before? 23 database queries in 0.0162361 seconds